Upgrade to remove ads
mgmt 316 exam II studyguide
Terms in this set (50)
1. If an organization opens up a new unit that it has not had before is it a programmed or non programmed decision.
2. Decisions that are based on the organization's best economic interests are based on which model of decision making?
The classical model
3. Is enlarged task for employees a disadvantage of the matrix organization?
4. Which condition has the lowest probability of failure?
Complete Certainty- the best we can do to not fail
5. Forecasting of human resource needs and the projected matching of individuals with expected job vacancies is referred to as what?
Human resource Planning
6. Does the matrix structure violate the unity of command principle of management?
7. What is personal decision style?
Directive, Analytical, Conceptual and Behavioral
8. Once the desired alternative is developed, what is the next step?
Selection of desired alternatives
9. What is it called when a manager transfers authority and responsibility to their subordinates?
10. Which strategy involves seeking efficient facilities, cutting costs and using tight cost controls to be more efficient than competitors?
Cost leadership (used by walmart )
11. What is the product or functional boss, who is responsible for one side of the matrix referred to as?
12. What are the methods used in external recruiting and is an employee resource chart one of them?
No. Private agencies, employee referrals, newspaper ads, state employee services.
13. What does unity of command mean?
The principle that no subordinate in an org should report to more than one boss.
14. When developing a crisis plan in the event of an environmental crisis should a crisis management team be designated?
15. Is requiring that all managers undergo gender sensitivity training with the intent of eliminating gender stereotypes in the organization an example of affirmative action?
16. Of the strategic management functions, which is considered the most fundamental?
17. What was the traditional approach to corporate planning?
Having a centralized planning department
18. Is "We seek to become the premier retail outlet in Orange", an example of a statement you would find in an organization's mission or in their operational plan?
19. If a person is denied a promotion because of their gender, what are they the victim of?
20. The growth of quantitative decision techniques that use computers has expanded the use of which decision-making approach?
The classical approach
21. When departments are grouped together on the basis of organizational outputs, the organization is using which structure?
22. Where in a SWOT analysis would having extremely creative employees be?
23. What level of management is primarily responsible for strategic goals/plans?
24. The organization's reason for existence is known as the organization's _____?
25. Which structure encourages more decentralization, functional or divisional?
26. Within the strategic approach to human resource management, what are the key ingredients to successful human resource management?
Employees are viewed as assets, all managers are human resource managers, It's a matching process.
27. If an organization with a horizontal structure finds that its employees are spending too much time in meetings and not enough time focusing on the task at hand, the organization may consider changing its structure to what organizational structure form?
28. Is the average U.S. worker, today younger or older than ever?
29. With centralization where in the organization is decision authority located?
Near the top of the organization.
30. What is a desired future state that an organization attempts to realize?
31. What are the action steps by which an organization intends to attain its strategic goals called?
32. A company that is highly attractive to potential employees because of human resources practices that focus on tangible and intangible benefits, and that embraces a long-term view to solving immediate problems is called what?
Employer of choice (ex: microsoft)
33. Which strategy is it when an organization attempts to develop innovative products unique to the market?
34. Using computers and telecommunications equipment to do work without going to an office is what?
35. Most managers settle for what type of a solution?
Satisfying (for ever and ever)
36. What are reasonable yet highly ambitious goals that are so clear, compelling, and imaginative that they fire up employees and engender excellence?
37. An organization where coordination across organizational units is poor and the units perceived themselves to be in competition with one another for organizational resources is consistent with which structure?
38. Which racial or ethnic category currently represents the largest and fastest growing minority group?
39. What is it called when current employees are given preference when a position opens in their organization?
40. Which type of structure may lead to an organization being continually hampered by an inability to adapt to an unstable environment?
41. Describe the market share and growth rate of an industry for a cash cow.
High market share and low growth rate
42. What is a monoculture?
A culture that accepts only one way of doing things and one set of values and beliefs
43. What are operational goals?
The results expected from departments, work groups, and individuals
44. What are the four major decision styles?
Directive, analytical, conceptual, behavioral
45. What are intangible outputs?
Nonphysical objects which are produced.
Example: education, haircuts, tax accounting, banking, transportation, ideas[for greeting cards]/things you can't store in inventory
Services are perishable and cannot be stored in inventory
46. What approach should a decision-maker use to make decisions?
Innovative decision making
47. If a problem is found at an organization and managers are trying to figure out how did it happen what stage of the managerial decision-making process are they in?
Diagnosis and Analysis of the Causes
48. What are the stages of crisis planning?
Setting up effective communication systems
Creating detailed crisis management plans
Designating a crisis management team & spokesperson
Detect signals from the environment
49. Which level of management is primarily concerned with tactical goals?
Middle managers → such as the heads of major divisions or functional units
50. What are the benefits of MBO?
Focuses manager and employee efforts on activities that will lead to goal attainment, can improve performance at all company levels, improves employee motivation, aligns individual and department goals with company goals.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
MKTG Exam 2
Contemporary Business Chapter 7
Ch 7 ch 8
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
MGMT 316: Final Studyguide
ACTG 211 Ratios