Create an account
2. What does the Constitution do?
sets up the government
defines the government
protects basic rights of Americans
3. The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
We the People
6. What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?
petition the government
What did the Declaration of Independence do?
announced our independence (from Great Britain)
declared our independence (from Great Britain)
said that the United States is free (from Great Britain)
12. What is the "rule of law"?
Everyone must follow the law.
Leaders must obey the law.
Government must obey the law.
No one is above the law.
13. Name one branch or part of the government.
14. What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
checks and balances
separation of powers
16. Who makes federal laws?
Senate and House (of Representatives)
(U.S. or national) legislature
25. Why do some states have more Representatives than other states?
(because of) the state's population
(because) they have more people
(because) some states have more people
29. What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?
Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
31. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
the Speaker of the House
36. What are two Cabinet-level positions?
Secretary of Agriculture
Secretary of Commerce
Secretary of Defense
Secretary of Education
Secretary of Energy
Secretary of Health and Human Services
Secretary of Homeland Security
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Secretary of the Interior
Secretary of Labor
Secretary of State
Secretary of Transportation
Secretary of the Treasury
Secretary of Veterans Affairs
37. What does the judicial branch do?
resolves disputes (disagreements)
decides if a law goes against the Constitution
41. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the federal government?
to print money
to declare war
to create an army
to make treaties
42. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
provide schooling and education
provide protection (police)
provide safety (fire departments)
give a driver's license
approve zoning and land use
48. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
Citizens eighteen (18) and older (can vote).
You don't have to pay (a poll tax) to vote.
Any citizen can vote. (Women and men can vote.)
A male citizen of any race (can vote).
49. What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens?
serve on a jury
vote in a federal election
50. Name one right only for United States citizens.
vote in a federal election
run for federal office
51. What are two rights of everyone living in the United States?
freedom of expression
freedom of speech
freedom of assembly
freedom to petition the government
freedom of worship
the right to bear arms
53. What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
give up loyalty to other countries
defend the Constitution and laws of the United States
obey the laws of the United States
serve in the U.S. military (if needed)
serve (do important work for) the nation (if needed)
be loyal to the United States
55. What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?
join a political party
help with a campaign
join a civic group
join a community group
give an elected official your opinion on an issue
call Senators and Representatives
publicly support or oppose an issue or policy
run for office
write to a newspaper
57. When must all men register for the Selective Service?
at age eighteen (18)
between eighteen (18) and twenty-six (26)
58. What is one reason colonists came to America?
practice their religion
61. Why did the colonists fight the British?
because of high taxes (taxation without representation)
because the British army stayed in their houses (boarding, quartering)
because they didn't have self-government
64. There were 13 original states. Name three.
65. What happened at the Constitutional Convention?
The Constitution was written.
The Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution.
67. The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers.
68. What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?
oldest member of the Constitutional Convention
first Postmaster General of the United States
writer of "Poor Richard's Almanac"
started the first free libraries
72. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1800s
War of 1812
75. What was one important thing that Abraham Lincoln did?
freed the slaves (Emancipation Proclamation)
saved (or preserved) the Union
led the United States during the Civil War
76. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
freed the slaves
freed slaves in the Confederacy
freed slaves in the Confederate states
freed slaves in most Southern states
78. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900s.
World War I
World War II
(Persian) Gulf War
85. What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?
fought for civil rights
worked for equality for all Americans
86. What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?
Terrorists attacked the United States.
87. Name one American Indian tribe in the United States.
91. Name one U.S. territory.
U.S. Virgin Islands
Northern Mariana Islands
92. Name one state that borders Canada.
95. Where is the Statue of Liberty?
New York (Harbor)
[Also acceptable are New Jersey, near New York City, and on the Hudson (River).]
96. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
because there were 13 original colonies
because the stripes represent the original colonies
97. Why does the flag have 50 stars?
because there is one star for each state
because each star represents a state
because there are 50 states
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together