5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Mercury Barometer
- air pressure
- warm front
- Occluded Front
- Convection Current
- a the weight of the air above an object
- b a front where a warm air mass is caught between two colder air masses and brings cool temperatures and large amounts of rain and snow
- c the movement of a fluid, caused by differences in temperature, that transfers heat from one part of the fluid to another
- d An instrument that measures changes in air pressure, consisting of a glass tube partially filled with mercury, with its open end resting in a dish of mercury. Air pressure pushing on the mercury in the dish forces the mercury in the tube to be higher.
- e moving weather front along which a warm air mass slides over a cold air mass, producing stratiform clouds and precipitation
5 Multiple choice questions
- an instrument that measures wind speed
- an area in which the barometric pressure is lower than that of the surrounding air
- a line on a weather map that joins points having the same barometric pressure
- forms when cold air moves under warm air which is less dense and pushes air up
- an instrument used to determine the direction that the wind is blowing
5 True/False questions
aneroid barometer → an instrument that measure air pressure, An instrument that measures changes in air pressure without using a liquid. Changes in the shape of an airtight metal box cause a needle on the barometer dial to move.
Jet Stream → a line on a weather map that joins points having the same barometric pressure
Coriolis Effect → The way Earth's rotation makes winds in the Northern Hemisphere curve to the right and winds in the Southern Hemisphere curve to the left.
pressure gradient force → Drives air from areas of higher barometric pressure to areas of lower barometric pressure, causing winds.
Front → Area of low pressure where wind will move towards, associated with cloudy and rainy weather and air that is rising