Create an account
Olmec: Colossal Head (1.40)
The visual impact of the this sculpture, is directly related to its mass
Forms that tend to be "IRREGULAR", and similar to "Naturally Occurring Objects", are known as ________ forms.
Shape that suggests "The Natural World".
A substance contained in an object.
Our experience from the natural world, leads us to assume that a LARGE object is Heavy. But, it does not necessarily imply weight.
This element of art, defines the amount of space occupied by an object.
The Space filled or enclosed by a 3-dimensional object.
The " Great Sphinx"
Features are: body of a lion, the wings of an eagle, and the head of a woman.
A symbolic guardian of the "Pyramids of Giza"
Defined by the ancient Greek as a "mythological creature"
Vladimir Tatlin's Monument
* The Thil International - intended to give this design of "Dynamism" from its spiral "Open Volume."
* Huge feats of engineering created by Egyptians. Has a "Geometric" form.
* Contrasts with the surrounding "Organic Landscape",
* Called "power and control over the natural world around them" by the Egyptians.
sides measuring 1 3/4 inch in difference of size.
Sculptors Ralph Helmick & Peter Schechter experimented with "Open Volume" by creating a hanging sculpture installed in the Evanstan Public Library in Illinois.
1 3/4 inches
The ancient Egyptians created huge structures. The precision with which these buildings were constructed is evident in that
the greatest difference in the length of the sides of the Great Pyramid of Khufu is ____
Because a form exists in "real" space we can experience it not only visually, but also through the sense of ________.
In his obey campaign poster, Shepard Fairey:
Used a striking contrast between
Positive & Negative Shapes to attract the attention of the public.
David Smith . In his work "CUBI XIX"
* Used "GEOMETRIC FORMS, using the following GEOMETRIC Shape = CUBOIDS.
Canaletto : drawing Ducal Palace in Venice
created an impression of 3-DIMENSIONS
using LINE to show the division between PLANES.
Miriam Scharpiro: collage Baby Blocks used 2 different types of shape:
Organic: describes a shape that suggests the NATURAL WORLD &
GEOMETRIC: suggest Mathematical Regularity.
Titian: the portrait of Isabella d'Este:
Wears a turban, embroidered clothes, & a white ermine stole to: EMPHASIZE-WEALTH & GOOD TASTE.
Rembrandt: by Robert Wittman: self-portrait : @National Museum Stockholm, Sweden.
* "Only known" portrait by Rembrandt that is painted "in COPPER".
* Stolen from the " National Museum, in Stockholm" in 2000 & attempted to be re-sold was then recovered in 2005.
Watts Towers: Simon Rodia : Orginally named "Nuestro Pueblo" :
* Was not a trained artist (construction worker)
* Made from steel/metal,glass, materials.
* Viewed once as " CONTROVERSIAL" &
Now a NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK.
*Sculpture with Mosaic
Lincoln Memorial: building housing "The Lincoln Memorial": By: Damiel Chester (French)
* Based on the form of an "Ancient Greek Temple"
* Greek Architecture - symbolized Values important to Americans.
* The Outer-edge or Profile of an object.
* Ex: "Portrait of the Artist's Wife" STANDING- with hands on her hips using Contour line to represent her figure with "great economy" while being descriptive.
Obey: poster by: Shepard Fairey
* Uses Striking Contrast between:Positive & Negative Shapes to attract the attention of the public.
Dulcal Palace by: Canatello
created an impression of 3- dimensions:
* Used "LINE" to show the _division_ between "PLANES"
The Journey of Sun God Re; @ Fitzwilliam Museum :
Plastered & Painted wood
3rd interim. period 990-969 BCE
* Sun God Re in "the underworld at night"
Refers to egyptian beliefs about the "AFTERLIFE"
* Relects the Importance of Rivers in EGYPT.
Painting came from: inner "COFFIN"of Nespawershefi
The Hudson River Portfolio:
by: William G. Wall, Fort Edward
* Published in print,Hand Color Aqua tint
(printer- John Hill)
* Original: was "Watercolor".
* landscape w/ native Amer. women
*Reflects " Nation Building" & expansion of 19th century America.
Father Damian: By Marisol
Commissionedto be created
A Stout figure in Heavy Bronze which possesses Weighty Mass that communicates the strong beliefs & courageous determination of the Catholic Priest.
Using texture to contradict PREVIOUS TACTILE experience,
*Artist can invite viewer's to
"Reconsider the World Around them".
SELF: by Marc Quinn
* Contemporary British Art
* CONTROVERSIAL exhibition was called: SENSATION
* held @ Brooklyn Museum in 1999
* The Medium: "the artist's BLOOD".
A line that is Suggested, but Not Actually Drawn.
* Created with Small Passages of Text.
* Can influence Visual Rhythm.
Shapes we can see where No Continuous Boundary Exist.
Dots or Lines that Do Not Connect.
Object: by Meret Oppenheim (Swiss): Surrealist
* A Fur Lined TEA CUP & Saucer
* Imployed SUBVERSIVE texture, to contradict conscious logical experience.
* Belonging to the Surrealist: Art Movement;
who drew on "Ideas & images" from DREAMS & the UNCONSIOUS mind.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together