Theology: chapter 22
Terms in this set (25)
Compared to what usually happened to the bodies of crucified men, what was noteworthy about what happened to Jesus' body after it was taken down from the cross?
- Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for Jesus' body
- him and Nicodemus wanted at traditional Jewish burial
- Jesus' body was wrapped in Lenin
- the tomb was a royal burial, it was worthy because Jesus is a king
- criminals were dumped in a ditc
- Gold---> kingship---> tomb (Royal)
- Myruh (oil on dead body)-->humanity (humans die)---> myruh
- Frankincense (insents)--> divinity--> Ressurection (stone, guard, only God can rise)
Why did the chief priests ask Pilate to place a guard at the tomb of Jesus?
- worried about Jesus' followers
- make sure know one would come, steal the body, and claim that he rose
- 1st frod was Jesus saying he was the son of God and the 2nd frod is his resurrection (people didn't believe in his teachings, etc). More dangerous dead then alive
- more of a threat died than alive
- the Jewish leaders think that the old traditions will be lost, taken away from them
In the synoptic tradition, Jesus was buried on Friday immediately before the Sabbath. Why did the women come to Jesus' tomb bright and early "on the first day of the week" (I.e,p., after the sabbath had pasted)?
- they wanted to anoint them
- it was done Friday, but they didn't have time to properly do it so they finish the job
- Nicademus brought myruh and alow
What did the women find when they arrived at Jesus' tomb?
- stone was already rolled back
- saw a man sitting dressed in white, he said Jesus has rose And to go find him
- Lenin was still in the tomb
- he sent them to galilee because that's where the church will begin and it's an Old Testament prophecy
- went back to Peter and the apostles
The 4 passages have what verbs in them?
Looked, broke, blessed, gave, took, said, received, given
As the travelers made their way to Emmaus, Jesus, the very author of the bible, explained it to them. How did they respond?
- they invited Jesus to stay for dinner
- when Jesus read the reading to them he was doing liturgy of the word
- the mass is him with us always because of eternal now
- the mass was foreshadowed he doesn't die every time we go to mass
- he broke bread and gives it to them, he vanishes because they realize it's him, his physical appearance
As evidenced by this story, the bible alone does not seem to be enough to come to know Jesus. What is necessary?
- the Eucharist is more important than the word of God.
Why should a person go to confession, rather than only asking God to forgive their sins?
- only God can forgive sins, but since Christ entrusted his apostles the ministry of reconciliation, bishops, and priests can forgive sins to.
Tradition tell us that St. Thomas took the gospel message as far as _______. In that country he still enjoys special honor and pious devotion?
What was the earliest sign of the Christian Faith?
The cross wasn't the first symbol, the first symbol was the fish
Why did St. Thomas carry the small wooden cross with him?
It reminded him of what he learned in that one gliding moment; that Jesus really died and really risen.
Why did Jesus order the disciples to go back to Galilee?
- It was the backwater
- it's where the restoration would begin
- Jesus grew up there and chose his first 3 apostles
What is the connotation of the 153 fish that the disciples caught?
- there are 153 types of fish in the world so the apostles would be sent by our lord to preach to every nation in the world.
What does Philia mean?
Relationships, emotional kind of love, describes the feeling we have when we are spending time with someone we like.
What does agape mean?
Purest love, fullest kind of love, sacrificial love, making a commitment and living it out till the end. Making sacrifices to the point of death.
What is significant about the detail of the "charcoal fire" as Jesus and St. Peter meet after the resurrection?
It accounts for Peter's triple denial
The first two times Jesus asks St. Peter if he loves him, he uses agape, what is he saying to St. Peter?
Peter, do you love me enough to commit your life to me?
When St. Peter answers, he says; lord you know that I Philia you" what is St. Peter telling Jesus?
Loves him like a brother
The third time Jesus asks the question to Peter, do you love me? He gives in and uses Philia himself. What is Jesus saying?
He meets us where we are
Why should this encounter between Jesus and St. Peter give us great hope?
- Know one can have greater love than Jesus did (agape)
- there's always forgiveness and mercy
Along with St. Nicodemus, _____________ was one of the people who helped arrange for Jesus' burial by giving Jesus his win new tomb.
Joseph of Arimathea
While St. ______________ was the first of many people to see Jesus after he rose from the dead, there were no eyewitnesses to the _____________ itself.
Mary Magdalene, resurrection
St. John tells us the first time Jesus appeared to the disciples, and St. ___________ was not with them, he gave them his own authority to forgive sins. This is where Jesus instituted the sacrament of ______________.
On the evening of the day Jesus rose from the dead, Jesus met ____________ and a companion as they were walking to ___________ about seven miles from Jerusalem.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Master 1,000 Words in English
Unit 6 - Jesus' Resurrection
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
English 4: Alice though the looking glass chapters 5-8
Theology 4 A: unit 6
English 4: Alice through the looking glass chapters 1-4
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Scripture Chapter 19
Religion II: Ch. 20 What Jesus Taught
Religion: Chapter 21- The Cup of Consummation
lerille ch 23