5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- drug resistance
- a antimalarial most commonly used for both acute treatment and prevention
- b sulfonamides may cause _____________ in a patient taking a sulfonylurea oral hypoglycemic agent for the treatment of diabetes.
- c malaria, once inside the body has 2 phases of its life cycle: an erythrocyte phase in RBCs and ____________ phase in the liver
- d when drug goes through metabolic change allowing it to survive and reproduce in presence of the drug
- e what is the drug of choice for intranasal application to help prevent the spread of MRSA and can also be used topically as an anti-infective with skin lesions such as impetigo.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the penicillin drugs are the "_______" family
- New class of drugs that inhibit bacterial growth by interrupting protein synthesis (bacteriostatic)
- these drugs are usually bacteriocidal, they weaken the bacterial cell wall making it susceptible to influx of water and lysis. It has a problem of resistant strains of bacteria. A major problem is hypersensitivity. Depending on the drug and dosage, it can cause varying degrees of neurotoxicity, nephrotoxicity, and hepatotoxicity.
- do not take these with calcium, including milk or milk products, with antacids, or with iron (it will become nonabsorbable)
- American Trypanosomiasis transmitted by the bite of various bugs in South America and the Carribbean
5 True/False questions
cycline → Tetracyclines include "_______" in the generic name and "mycin" in the trade name
Retroviruses → inhibit protein synthesis --bacteriostatic. Primary use in the past has been in patients allergic to penicillin, but today they're frequently used in out-patient treatment because of the availability of once a day dosing. The have a HIGH rate of RESISTANCE.
African sleeping sickness → most ____________ are "mycins" but not all "mycins" are __(same thing)______
hepatotoxicity and drug-drug interactions → Primary SE with most of the azoles are ___________ and ____-_____ ____________ due to the inhibition of P450 hepatic enzymes.
resistance → Viruses mutate rapidly, resulting in drug _________. Multidrug therapy helps lessen this problem.