Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (14)
What are indicators of spiritual health?
3. meaning and purpose in life
4. ability to love, forgive, pray, and worship
5. participation in spiritual rites
6. expression through music, art, or writing
7. connectedness with others
Give examples of spiritual needs related to self.
1. need for meaning and purpose
2. need to express creativity
3. need for hope
4. need to transcend life challenges
5. need for personal dignity
6. need for gratitude
7. need for vision
8. need to prepare for and accept death
Give examples of spiritual needs related to others.
1. need to forgive others
2. need to cope with loss of loved ones
Give examples of spiritual needs related to the ultimate other.
1. need to be certain there is a God or Ultimate Power in the universe
2. need to believe that God is loving and personally present
3. need to worship
Give examples of spiritual needs among and within groups.
1. need to contribute or improve one's community
2. need to be respected and valued
3. need to know what and when to give and take
How is spiritual health and well-being manifested?
By feeling of being generally alive, purposeful, and fulfilled
What factors contribute to spiritual distress?
1. physiological - e.g. a medical diagnosis of debilitating or terminal disease
2. treatment-related - e.g. recommendation for blood transfusion, abortion, surgery
3. situational - e.g. death/illness of significant other
What are characteristics of spiritual distress?
1. lack of hope, meaning, and purpose in life
2. expressing anger or feelings of abandonment towards God
3. lack of interest towards others, nature, or having anything to do with religion
What are the core aspects of spirituality?
Which organization mandated that each client admitted to an institution's care be assessed for spiritual beliefs and practices?
The Joint Commission
How does a nurse assess spirituality? Explain.
aith or beliefs - "What spiritual beliefs are most important to you?"
mplications or influence - "How is your faith affecting the way you cope now?"
ommunity - "Is there a group of like-minded believers with whom you regularly meet?"
ddress - "How would you like your healthcare team to support you spiritually?"
How can a nurse help the ill child or their parents express qualities of spiritual development?
1. active listening
2. offering opportunities to practice religious rituals
3. providing materials for nonverbal expression (e.g. painting, play, music)
What are the most common practices affecting the nursing care of clients?
practices associated with:
1. diet and nutrition
What are the different categories of prayer?
1. ritual - memorized prayers that can be repeated
2. petitionary - intercessory prayers when one is requesting something from the divine
3. colloquial - conversational prayers
4. meditational - e.g. moments of silence focused on nothing, a meaningful phrase, or a certain aspect of the divine
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Exam #6 Terms
Culture and Diversity
Elder Abuse and Genomics
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 41 Spirituality
Chapter 45 (Spirituality) Fundamentals of Nursing…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Hip Fractures and Joint Replacement