size of fist, weight= 250 g (females) 300g (males), 25% of weight is mitochondria
atria (upper), ventricles (lower)
hyper-fill ventricles- receiving chambers
receives blood from the body and pumps into the right ventricle
receives blood from the lungs and pumps blood into the left ventricles
pumps blood into the lungs for gas exchange
pumps blood throughout the body
(1) atrioventricular (2) semilunar
separate the atria from the ventricles
Characteristics of atrioventricular valves
(1) passively are open and closed when ventricular pressure is grater than atrial pressure (2) tricuspid is on the right side (3) mitral or bicuspid valve is on the left side
separate the great arteries from the ventricles
characteristics of semilunar valves
(1) passively are closed and open when the ventricular pressure is grater than arterial pressure (2) pulmonary valve separates the right ventricle form the pulmonary trunk (3) aortic valve separates the left ventricle from the aorta
(1) pulmonary (2) systemic
blood pumped from right side of heart, oxygenated and returned to left atrium
blood pumped from the left side of heart and returned to the right atrium, deoxygenated
heart chamber is relaxed
heart chamber is contracted
(1) fibrous pericardium (2) serous pericardium (3) pericardial space/cavity
loose fitting dense irreregular CT, encloses and protects heart
functions of fibrous pericardium
Protects heart, anchors heart to surrounding structures, Prevents overfilling with blood
(1) parietal layer (2) visceral layer
serous pericardium- parietal layer
lines internal surface of fibrous pericardium, thin-slippery serous membrane. attaches to the large arteries at superior margin of heart
serous pericardium- visceral layer
continuous with parietal pericardium, the two layers of serous pericardium allows for frictionless environment for heart beating
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.