Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
CE 4650 LECT. 18
Terms in this set (11)
what are the steps involved in the mixture design?
1. materials selection
2. design aggregate structure
3. design asphalt content
4. evaluate mixture
what is the criteria for CAA?
- 1+ fract. faces = 95% min
- 2+ fract. faces = 90% min
what is the criteria for FAA?
manufactured sand = 45% min
what is the criteria for flat, elongated particles?
12.5mm chip = 10% max
what are the steps to selecting design aggregate structure?
1. establish trial blends
2. compact specimens
3. evaluate trial blends
4. select design aggregate structure
for the selection of design aggregate structure, what are the steps to compacting specimens?
1. establish trial asphalt binder content
2. establish trial aggregate weight
3. determine Nini, Ndes, & Nmax
4. compact specimens and generate tables
5. determine mixture properties (volumetrics & densification)
for the selection of design aggregate structure, why must a trial asphalt binder content be established?
to establish an asphalt binder content that will result in the trial compacted specimens having air voids close to 4% at Ndes
The superpave method establishes binder content for ___.
minimum % VMA
what are two methods to establish binder content?
superpave & engineering judgment
how is Nini, Ndes, and Nmax determined?
based on traffic and design high air temperature
what to do if none of the 3 trial blends are acceptable?
- recombine aggregates to form further trial blends
- obtain new materials
Sets found in the same folder
ce 4650 lec 11 Specific gavity
CE 4650 HMA
CE 4650 LECT. 4
Ce 4650 quiz lec 18-19
Other sets by this creator
Thai Kitchen: Curry, Vegetarian, & Rice/Noodles
CE 4650 LECT. 12 (Aggregates-Surface Area)
CE 4650 LECT. 19
CE 4650 LECT. 17
Other Quizlet sets
Nervous System bio 12
Psych Study Guide #2