Biology 181 Review 2
Terms in this set (67)
1. The binomial system of naming species was developed by _____.
D. Watson and Crick
2. Which of the following would be classified as Archaea?
A. thermophiles C. halophiles
B. methanogen D. all of the above
D. All the above
3. "Cephalization" refers to having _____.
A. a dorsal and a ventral surface
B. a head
D. a right and a left side
E. radial symmetry
B. Having a head
4. In the animal embryo, ectoderm gives rise to ____; mesoderm gives rise to _____; endoderm gives rise to _____.
A. the lining of the digestive tract ... muscle ... the outer covering of the animal
B. muscle ... the outer covering of the animal ... the central nervous system
C. muscle ... the outer covering of the animal ... the lining of the digestive tube
D. the central nervous system ... muscle ... the lining of the digestive tube
E. the central nervous system ... the outer covering of the animal ... the lining of the digestive tube
5. The first word in an organism's binomial name refers to the _____.
A. family C. genus
B. species D. kingdom
6. The second word in an organism's scientific name _____.
A. refers to one species within the genus
B. is the specific epithet
C. gives no clue as to species if used alone
D. all of the above
D. All of the above
7. Gymnosperms create their seeds inside a ____.
A. Ecdysozoa (insect)
B. Lophotrochozoa (mollusk)
C. Both Ecdysozoa and Lophotrochozoa
8. a type of Protostome
C. Both Ecdysozoa and Lophotrochozoa
9. members of this group regularly molt (shed skin
11. An order is a taxonomic group. All seals belong to the same order. Name another taxonomic group to which all
Class, phylum, kingdom, or domain
14. All the seals shown in the diagram are members of Phocidae. Phocidae is an example of which type of
15. Chitin is found in which of the following groups? (list any/all that apply)
A. protists D. plants
B. fungi E. arthropods
C. archaea G. chondrichthyes
16. Cooler brain temperature and the ability to run longer distances are two possible reasons for which hominin
17. How many mass extinctions have already occurred?
18. In what generation does meiosis occur in plants?
A. gametophyte B. sporophyte
19. The veins of grasses are ________, thus they are _______.
A. branched B. parallel
C. dicots D. monocots
TRUE / FALSE (write the entire word!)
20. The archaea and eukarya are more closely related to each other than either is to the bacteria.
21. The higher the classification category, the more inclusive it is.
22. The sporophyte generation in pteridophytes produces flowers.
23. What is the function of hibernation in animals? is an ultimate question.
24. What is the cue that triggers hibernation in animals? is a proximate question.
Below are listed some of the general levels of taxonomic classification of Carolina anoles, not in their correct order.
25. To which domain do Carolina anoles belong?
26. To which phylum do Carolina anoles belong?
27. To which class do Carolina anoles belong?
28. Write the scientific name of the Carolina anole in the proper format.
29. If all dragons can breath fire, then fire-breathing is a(n) ______ trait for dragons.
A. ancestral C. fossil
B. derived D. primary
36. What does the notochord develop into in mammals
37. Which of the illustrations below best represents an earthworm? WHY??
C, because there is a true coelem, surrounded by mesoderm
38. Which of the illustrations below best represents a roundworm?
MATCHING (you may use answers more than once)
39. stinging cell
40. two sexes within one organism
41. secretes shell in mollusks
42. plant root + fungus
43. blue-green algae
44. invertebrate chordate
45. mammal + reptile DNA
46. composed of hyphae
47. produce half the world's oxygen
48. can form endospores that allow them to survive harsh times
49. cell walls contain no peptidoglycan
55. How does a fungus benefit from forming a lichen?
It gains food
60. sessile adults
61. radial symmetry, acoelomate
62. jointed legs
63. protostome, closed circulatory system, segmented
65. bilaterally symmetric, triploblastic, pseudocoelomate, protostome
68. make up the majority of species on the ocean floor
70. no tissues
72. includes largest invertebrate
76. deuterostomes, no cephalization
77. pentaradial symmetry
78. At first puppies crouch in fear when a leaf flutters overhead. Later they learn to disregard it. This is due to
A. Imprinting D. Classical conditioning
B. Habituation E. Insight learning
C. Operant conditioning
79. Which of the following might also be called trial-and-error learning?
A. operant conditioning D. insight learning
B. classical conditioning E. habituation
C. observational learning
A. Operant conditioning
80. Ecology is defined as the interaction of organisms with _____ and _____.
each other, the environment
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
152- Exam 2
Bio 104 Final Study Guide
Chapters 33, 34, 35: animal diversity
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Bio 183 Final
Biology 183 Test #3 (NCSU Parks)
Biology 181 Review 3
Biology 181 Review 1
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
BIO 181 Test 2
Bio 181 Exam 1
Biology - Unit 1 - Chapter 4 - Lungs and Lung Disease
Species and taxonomy