Upgrade to remove ads
Psychology exam 4
Terms in this set (30)
• Abnormal Psychology is the study of
o Mental Illnesses
• The ______________ is a diagnostic resource that classifies mental disorders and their criteria.
o Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
• People with mental illnesses are often fired, turned down for promotions, seen as scary and untrustworthy. These are all example of
is used to refer to multiple disorders occurring at the same time.
o Dissociative Identity Disorder
is used to describe someone with multiple, distinct personalities.
• Fear, nervousness, and racing thoughts are all associated with _______ disorders, which are the most commonly diagnosed disorders.
• OCD is characterized by _______ which are thoughts and _______ which are behaviors designed to deal with the thoughts.
o Obsessions; Compulsions
• Prolonged periods of sadness and feelings of worthlessness/hopelessness is associated with __________, and when these symptoms also alternated with extreme "highs" and impulsivity the individual most likely has _________ disorder.
o Depression; Bipolar
• Individuals who experience delusions and hallucinations likely suffer from ________
• Schizoid, schizotypal, and paranoid are all types of _______ disorders.
• Impulsivity and unpredictability are associated with ________ personality disorder.
• Someone acting better than everyone else is associated with ________ personality disorder.
• Breaking laws, impulsivity, and disregard for others' rights are all components of ______ personality disorder.
• True or False: Personality disorders are not pervasive and people can grow out of them
• ________ treat severe mental illness using psychotherapy and _________ do so by prescribing medications.
o Clinical Psychologists; Psychiatrists
• Deinstitutionalization was a movement that returned many individuals with mental illnesses back to their communities. However, a person who needs inpatient treatment today can be admitted to a __________ treatment facility for long-term care.
• Treatments that undergo rigorous scientific testing and are shown to effective are called ________ _______ treatments.
o Empirically Supported
• ____________/__________ therapy focus on unconscious conflicts, and ____________ therapy focuses on personal growth.
o Psychoanalytic/Psychodynamic; Humanistic
• __________ therapy seeks to change maladaptive behaviors, and when these strategies are paired with techniques to improve negative thoughts the therapy is called ________-________ therapy.
o Behavior; Cognitive-Behavioral
• The guidelines for how to behave in social contexts are called _________ __________.
o Social Norms
• John is a church pastor. He is compelled to act a certain way because of ________ ________.
o Social Roles
o Stanford Prison Study
• This study showed that under the right conditions, prisoners became distressed and panicky while guards became aggressive and oppressive. It showed how social roles can affect behavior.
• When a person slacks off and fails to put in as much effort in group tasks is called ______ _____.
o Social Loafing
• Don and Dan have opposing views. They meet to discuss their viewpoints and come to a consensus. However, Don and Dan leave the meeting angry and are more opposed than when they first walked into the meeting because of _________ ________.
o Group Polarization
• A change in attitude is one way a person can reduce _______ _______
o Cognitive Dissonance
• Joan received a call from a charity asking for a $100 donation to which she declined. She then agreed to give them their second request of $50. This is an example of the ______-_-_-______ technique. Had the caller stated, "Well, if you're willing to give $50, would you give $75" then it would be the _____-_-_-_____ technique.
o Door-in-the-Face; Foot-in-the-Door
• Sherry thinks Amy is a jerk and ignores her when she speaks. One day, Amy has had enough and trips Sherry in the hallway, which solidifies Sherry's opinion of Amy. This is an example of the _______-______ ________.
o Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
• Twin studies show a 25%-50% heritability rate for schizophrenia. This heritability range is considered to be in the _______ range
• ________ ________ was stabbed to death because no one took responsibility in helping her when they heard her screaming
o Kitty Genovese
• Mr. Chris gradually works on overcoming his frog phobia. This is called what? If he were to place himself in a room of 200 frogs at once, this would be an example of what?
o Systematic Desensitization; Flooding
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Psychology Chapter 14 and 15 Study Quiz
TCU Gen Psychology (Broom) Exam 4
Health 5 Self Test
General Psychology Final Exam (Chapters 13, 14, 15…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Sociology Final ch. 10-12
Roche Philosophy Final
Sociology Final Exams 1-3