5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- prayer beads / rosary
- prayer mat
- a tribe that controlled mecca
- b used by muslims at prayer. The mat is designed to be pointed in the direction of Mecca
- c (909-1171) a shiite dynasty in egypt, claiming descent from muhammad's daughter fatima
- d string of ______ consists of one hundred beads, divided into 3 sections. Used for the ninety-nine names of God.
the tower of a mosque from which the call to prayer is made five times each day
5 Multiple choice questions
- ("successor") the leader of the islamic community after muhammad. They were not considered divinely inspired indivduals for muhammad was the last prophet
- (570-632) Muslims believe that Muhammad was the last of the prohpets of god, such as abraham, moses, and jesus
- "The Festival of Fast Breaking" or the "Small Feast". 2 or 3 day event marking the end of the month-long fast of Ramadan.
- in shiite tradition, the hidden imam who will return at the end of the world
- (1058-1111) a leading intellectual who became a sufi convert. He challenged the independence of philosophy emphasizing the need of revelation
5 True/False questions
yathrib → Medina; the city in which Muhammad and his followers went for safety/refuge when they were removed from Mecca. This event is referred to as Hijra (emigration)
medina → the pre-islamic center of trade and religion for arabs, which muhammad reformed into a center of monotheism
new year's day → (Mawlid) Celebration of Muhammad's Birthday DUHHH
surah → a scholar of one of the schools of laws in the sunni tradition
calligraphy → When Islam discouraged pictorial art, handwriting became an art, feat. words from the Quran.