5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Quran/ Koran
- a ("sign of Allah") in shiite tradition, a few very pious and learned men have the authority of the Imam
- b the pre-islamic center of trade and religion for arabs, which muhammad reformed into a center of monotheism
- c tribe that controlled mecca
- d ("recitation") The Islamic Scripture, consisting of 114 Chapters of material that muhammad recorded during twenty-three years of religious experiences.
- e the more traditional form, making up about 85% of Islam. They consider that valid leadership of islam lies in a caliph of muhhammad's tribe
5 Multiple choice questions
- the succession of caliphs, leaders of sunni islam. The instution was terminated by the Turkish Republic in 1922. Attempts to revive was unsuccesful
- "The Festival of Fast Breaking" or the "Small Feast". 2 or 3 day event marking the end of the month-long fast of Ramadan.
- used by muslims at prayer. The mat is designed to be pointed in the direction of Mecca
- the celebration of the beginning of the revlatory experiences of muhammad as he received the Qur'an
- ("God is Greatest") the audible symbol of islam. pronounced in dailiy prayers but also on numerous other occasions
5 True/False questions
zaidites → ("to go out, leave") Early supporters of Ali, who withdrew their loyalty when Ali agreed to submit his leadership claim to arbitration
Mongol → (1206-1481) Largest world empire prior to the Soviet Union. Rapidly expanded in the 1200s, overthrowing most nations from the pacific to the Danube, including Abbasid Empire.
mahdi → cousin and son-in law of muhammad, he is considered by shi`ite to have been the proper successor to muhammad
Abbasid → attempted to establish a new religion based on elements of various religions
medina → cousin and son-in law of muhammad, he is considered by shi`ite to have been the proper successor to muhammad