What is the epidemiology of where TB is found?
1. All 50 states, but 60% of all cases are in 7 states, including California (Florida, Georgia, Texas, Illinois, New Jersey, New York).
2. Mostly urban areas.
3. Foreign-born people, where TB is 4-6X higher than for US-born people.
4. Minorities. Compared to Caucasians:
a. Asian Americans are 16X as likely to have TB.
b. African Americans are 8X.
c. Hispanic and Native Americans are 5X.
d. Socioeconomic rather than racial differences may account for these differences.
5. People with HIV - In the US, 26-38% of TB cases are estimated to be linked to HIV.
6. People in close contact with those who have TB.