Upgrade to remove ads
US History - Unit 5 Study Guide
Terms in this set (67)
1. What 3 countries were the major players of the Axis Powers?
Germany, Italy, Japan
2. What 5 countries were the major players of the Allied Powers?
Great Britain, Soviet Union, United States, France, China
USA presidents during WW2
Pres. Franklin Roosevelt and Pres. Harry Truman
Great Britain Leader(s)
PM Neville Chamberlain and PM Winston Churchill
Charles De Gaulle
Soviet Union Leader(s)
Premier Joseph Stalin
Emperor Hirohito and PM Hideki Tojo
PM Benito Mussolini
Chancellor Adolf Hitler
B. Which leaders were dictators?
Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Hideki Tojo
4. Germany invaded the country of ________________ and this caused GB and FR to declare war and thus the beginning of WW2.
5. What was the Munich Agreement?
Hitler can gain control of a region of Czech as long as he stops seeking more territory
6. What were the 5 main causes of World War 2.
Treaty Issues; Economic Issues; Nationalism; Dictatorships; Failure of Appeasement
7. In order to appease Hitler, PM _______ made an agreement to allow GR to take control of ________________.
Neville Chamberlain; Sudetenland (a region of Czech)
Which battle was the first air-sea battle in history?
Which battle ended when the German's could not gain air superiority over Great Britain's Royal Air Force?
Which battle did the Japanese fight defensively from an elaborate network of caves and tunnels?
Which battle involved aircraft carriers battling and neither side's ships sighted or fired directly upon the other?
Which battle was fought within a forest region of Belgium, France, and Luxembourg?
Which battle stopped the Germans from advancing into the Soviet Union?
Which battle involved Australia's navy and air force?
Which battle started based on the U.S. Marine's need of a base near the Japanese coast?
Which battle was comprised of mainly British, American, and Canadian forces?
B. Name the 3 Theaters of war where WW2 was fought.
European; North Africa; Pacific
C. Name the 5 beaches in Normandy where troops landed on the D-Day Invasion.
Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, and sword
9. How many members of Congress voted against going to war against Japan? Against Italy and Germany?
only one member in congress voted against war
10. Pearl Harbor - invasion by ________________. Why attack America?
Japan; US freezes Japanese funds in banks and cuts off exports to Japan
11. What was the date of the Pearl Harbor attack?
December 7, 1941 - 7:48am
12. Name of battle ship destroyed and now memorialized at Pearl Harbor.
13. What are the nicknames of Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo.
Hitler - The leader ('der Fuhrer); Mussolini - The leader (Il Duce); Tojo - Razor Tojo
14. __________________ surrenders to _______________ ending WW2.
15. How many people died in WW2?
50 million people
16. The ______ is established at the end of WW1 and then ______is established at the end of WW2.
League of Nations; United Nations
17. What event during WW2 was considered the beginning of the Cold War?
Japan being bombed by atomic bombs
18. Pilot _______________ flew the ________________ (name of plane) and dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan.
Paul Tibbetts; Enola Gay
19. The first atomic bomb was dropped on _____ Japan. The bomb was called _____________.
Hiroshima; Little Boy
20. The second atomic bomb was dropped on _____________ Japan. The bomb was called ________________.
Nagasaki; Fat Man
21. The _____________________ was the name of the plane that dropped the second atomic bomb on Japan.
22. ___________ (name) came up with the idea to create an unbreakable code of communication by using _________ language.
Philip Johnston; Navajo
24. Code words: machine gun ____________; battleship ______________; fighter plane ____________________.
rapid-fire gun; whale; hummingbird
25. What was the new weapon Japan began to use on Americans resulting in many deaths?
26. What was the Lend Lease Act?
a law giving FDR the power to sell, transfer, exchange, or lease military equipment to any country to help it defend itself against the Axis powers
27. What was the Manhattan Project?
The US effort to build an atomic bomb
28. How many American ships were destroyed in the attack on Pearl Harbor?
29. Name the different types of concentration camps.
Transit; Labor (work); Extermination; POW (Prisoner of War)
30. What does Holocaust mean?
Sacrifice by fire
31. How many people died in the Holocaust? _______ How many were Jews? _____________
11 million; 6 million
32. What is a Jewish ghetto?
a part of a city in which Jews are forced to stay there sometimes for the whole day or they might let you leave during the day and come back at night
33. The largest Jewish ghetto was located in __________________.
34. After WW2 started, Jews were forced to wear __________________________.
The Yellow Star
35. What were the Nuremberg Laws?
laws in which Jews lost all of their rights
36. What was Hitler's Final Solution?
The Nazi plan to annihilate the Jewish people by gassing, shooting, and other means
37. Auschwitz was a _______________ camp. That had 2 sub camps ____________________ camp and ______________ camp.
Concentration; Extermination; Labor
38. Who referred to the United States as a "sleeping giant"?
39. Who was Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.?
became the first AA general in the US Air Force and led the Tuskegee Airmen
40. What book did Hitler write, and which group did he blame for Germany's problems?
My Struggle (Mein Kampf); he blamed the Jews mainly for all of Germany's problems
41. Josef Stalin replaced ______________________ as the leader of the Soviet Union.
42. Who wrote the book "Night" which was a book about life in the concentration camps?
43. What doctor was known as the "angel of death "?
Dr. Josef Mengele
44. What did the sign on Dachaus' gate mean in English?
Work Brings Freedom
45. What did D-Day stand for?
46. What was the Zoot Suit Riots?
a series of riots during which Mexican Americans were attacked by whites
47. What were war bonds?
loans that people made to the government
48. What was a WASP?
Women's Airforce Service Pilots - women that flew test flights and ferried planes between factories and air bases
49. The draft first called men between the ages of _____ and ______.
50. Name the 2 countries that were major Allied countries in WW1 and then switched sides and became major Axis countries in WW2.
Japan and Italy
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Honors World History: Final
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
stats chapter 4
Ap stats chapter 3
Unit 1 vocab HP
Ct quiz 3