Scheduled maintenance: Saturday, March 6 from 3–4 PM PST
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (27)
When two or more organisms depend on each other
The study of how organisms interact with each other
A system that can be defined as a community of organisms that interact with their surroundings and each other.
The environment consists of all the factors in an organisms surroundings that affect it
An animals or organisms habitat is a particular place where it lives, its home
The living parts of an environment
The non-living parts of the environment
5 Abiotic factors
- Soil Type
- Gas Levels
A group of organisms (of different species) living in the same area at the same time and interacting with each other
A number of organisms of the same species living in a particular area at a particular time and interacting with each other
Where two or more organisms help each other to survive
- Example: cleaner shrimp and the fish they clean
When one organism live on the other, harming it
- Example: a parasitic wasp lays its eggs on a caterpillar, when they hatch they will eat the caterpillar
When one organism benefits and the other isn't affected
- Example: the strawberry poison arrow frog raises its tadpoles in pools of water in levels of bromeliads
The struggle among organisms, both of the same and of different species, for food, space, and other vital requirements.
- Example: cheetahs and lions both feed on similar prey, they are negatively impacted by the presence of the other because they will have less food
A relation between animals in which one organism captures and feeds on others.
- Example: cheetah and gazelle. With no place to hide in the open grasslands, the gazelle has no option, but to outrun the cheetah, and the gazelle. It's a classic example of the survival of the fittest.
Any structural/behavioural/functional change that helps an organism survive in it particular environment
Is any body part/structure that changes to help the organism survive in its environment
- Example: a kangaroo has thick skin on their tummies to protect themselves when fighting
Behaviours that help an organism survive in its environment
- Example: Kangaroos rest in the shade during the heat of the day to prevent dehydration
The way an organisms body works and changes to help it survive in its environment
- Example: mother kangaroos can produce different milk so that each joey gets the right amount of nutrients as it grows
Produces nutrients needed by animals
All animals are consumed, there are fist, second and third order consumers
Organisms that consume dead organisms
Flow of Energy through a Food Chain
The first order consumer receives 10% of energy from its food the producer, the seconder order consumer receives 10% of energy from its food the first order consumer, and so on and so forth. The other 90% of energy is recycled back into the environment
Has lots of food chains joined together
Is the nutrients in plants that are passed on from the plant to animals directly or indirectly.
The variety of all living thing on Earth, the range of different species in a community
the state of being stable
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Ecology 1, Ecology 2
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR