Create an account
1. What are five main categories of form factors used for motherboards?
ATX, MicroATX, FlexATX, BTX, and NLX.
2. How many pins does the Intel Socket B have? What is another name for this socket?
1366 pins. LGA1366.
5. Which part of the chipset connects directly to the processor, the North Bridge or the South Bridge?
6. What are the names of the two technologies used to install multiple video cards in the same system?
SLI & CrossFire.
8. How does the throughput of PCI Express Version 1.1 compare to PCIe Version 1? How does PCIe Version 2 compare to Version 1?
PCIe Verision 1 and version 1.1 are completely identical as types, 16 lane bit paths, 1.25 GHz of frequency and able to move up to 250 MB per lane in each direction. The only difference between these two was an that there were two 6 pin power supply connectors allowing more wattage. Comparing PCIe Version 2 to version 1 there are some big differences. In version 2 there are up to 32 lanes instead of 16, the frequency was increased to 2.5 GHz instead of 1.25 GHz, and up to 500MB per lane in each direction rather than 250MB. So between version 1 and 1.1 to 2 everything was double. Very big difference and a large increase in technology.
10. What new type of power connector on the motherboard was introduced with PCIe Version 1.0? How much power does this connector provide?
Two 6 pin power supply connectors were introduced for an added total of 150W.
11. What new type of power connector was introduced with PCIe Version 2.0? How much power does this connector provide?
An 8 pin power supply connector that provides 150W.
12. If you are installing an expansion card into a case that does not have enough clearance above the motherboard for the card, what device can you use to solve the problem?
PCI Riser Cards
13. What is the purpose of an AGP slot?
Before it was replaced by PCI Express it set standards for motherboard video slots and video cards.
18. What is the easiest way to obtain the latest software to upgrade BIOS?
Express BIOS update, use the booklet you got with the system, it will tell you if your motherboard will allow for an express bios update done from windows. Can also be done from a bootable USB or CD.
19. What can you do if the power-on password and the supervisor password to a system have been forgotten?
Bios jumpers 1, 2 are closed normal boot.
Bios jumpers 2, 3 are closed it resets power-on password and the supervisor password on reboot.
21. What is the difference between a hard boot and a soft boot?
Hard boot takes more time than a soft boot.
22. How is CMOS RAM powered when the system is unplugged?
there is a battery that supplys the power, since cmos doesn't take up much power to maintain it can last for a very long time.
23. Describe how you can access the BIOS setup program.
The BIOS setup program can be access by pressing a key or combination of keys during the boot process. The exact way to enter setup varies from one motherboard manufacturer to another.
Usually F2 or Delete but you must check your boot-up screen.
24. If a USB port on the motherboard is failing, what is one task you can do that might fix the problem?
Disable the port in the BIOS or by jumper and add an expansion card.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together