5. When the OS addresses the sectors on a hard drive as one long list of sequential sectors, what is this technology called?
-LBA - logical blocking address
6. What are the main two components of the Master Boot Record on a hard drive?
-Master boot record, partition table
8. What two file systems can Windows use to format a hard drive? Which system supports the most storage capacity?
FAT32, NTFS - NTFS
11. A CD drive that uses a PATA connection must follow what standard?
-ATAPI advanced technology attachment packet interface
12. How many pins does a PATA cable have? What is the maximum recommended length of a PATA cable?
40 pins, 80 wires, 40 for data, 40 for reducing crosstalk, 18''
13. What transfer mode can transmit data from a device to memory without involving the CPU?
-DMA direct memory access
14. What term describes the technology that allows you to exchange a hard drive without powering down the system?
15. Which RAID level mirrors one hard drive with a second drive so that the same data is written to both drives?
16. Which RAID level stripes data across multiple drives to improve performance and also provides fault tolerance?
-RAID 5, Raid volumes
19. What are three current ratings for spindle speed for a magnetic hard drive?
5400 rpm, 7200 rpm, 10 k rpm
21. What are the four possible configurations for a PATA drive installed in a system?
-Primary & secondary maters, primary & secondary slaves
22. If a motherboard has one blue IDE connector and one black IDE connection, which do you use to install a single drive?
24. To write to a floppy disk, is it necessary for the write- protect notch to be open or closed?