Upgrade to remove ads
Diagramming Sentences Symbols and Examples Taken from:http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/diagrams2/one_pager1.htm
Terms in this set (45)
1. Simple subject and predicate:
1. Samson slept.
2.Understood Subject (for commands, directives).
3. 1) Where are you going? 2) What were you reading this morning? 3) Whose bike were you using? 4) May I postpone this assignment?
4. Compound predicate
4. The cat howled and scratched ferociously.
5. Compound subject and compound predicate
5. Juanita and Celso worked hard and then rested.
6. Three subjects
6. Juanita, Federica, and Celso are working.
7. Direct object
7. Tashonda sent an e-mail. NOTE: make sure to put a line under "email" with "an".
8.Compound direct objects
8.Tashonda sent cards and letters.
9.Three direct objects
9.Tashonda sent e-mail, cards, and letters.
10. Compound predicate with direct objects
10. Tashonda sent with direct objects
11. Compound predicate with one direct object
11.Samantha proofreads and edits her essays.
12. Mrs. Doubtfire gave the children homework.
13.Compound indirect objects
13. Mrs. Doubtfire gave Tabitha and Samantha quizzes.
14. John Calhoun is a coach.
15. Objective complement
15. Johnny painted his old jalopy purple.
16. Reflexive Pronouns
16. Jose cut himself.
17. Intensive Pronoun
17.I, myself, prefer basketball.
18. John Calhoun, the coach, yelled at the referees.
19. Direct Address
19. Heitor, address the class now.
20. Man, that hurts!
21. Athletic moves excite the crowd.
22. Compound Adjectives
22. The little old lady hit the tall distinguished gentleman.
23. Predicate Adjective
23. Samson was powerful.
24.Compound Predicate Adjectives
24.Samson was powerful but gullible.
25. Comparative Adjective
25. Joanna is considerably taller than her brother (is).
26. Dogsbreath works quickly.
27. Adverbs modify other adverbs
27. A very friendly dog wags its tail quite often.
28. Compound Adverbs
28. Dr. Turveydrop waited patiently and quietly at the door.
29. Prepositional phrase
29. Charles is working in the garden.
30. Prepositional phrase modifying another prepositional phrase
30. Charles is working in the garden by the river.
31. Prepositional with compound objects
31. The thought of getting up and working is alarming.
32. Prepositional phrase modifying an adverb
32. Tashonda does her best work early during the semester.
33. Prepositional phrase as subjective complement
33. She felt under the weather.
34.The crumbling bridge must be repaired.
35. The screaming crowd watched the bridge falling into the river.
36. Working hard can be profitable.
37. Gerund phrase acting as object
37. Terminata hates eat broccoli.
38. Gerund phrase as object of a preposition
38. Wolfson wrote a book about playing basketball.
39. Infinitive as noun (subject & predicate)
39. To know him is to love him.
40. Infinitive acting as adjective
40. His decision to leave early was unfortunate.
41. Infinitive acting as adverb
41. He is determined to work hard.
42. Infinitive as direct object
42. The Eagles slowly began to climb the national rankings.
43. Infinitive phrase as object of preposition
43. Pedrito had no choice except to run away.
44. Infinitive phrase as objective complement
44. Mom wanted ME to do the dishes.
45.The burglar was shot.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Grammar - Sentence Patterns
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Direct Objects, Indirect Objects, objects of Prepo…
Direct Objects and Indirect Objects
Grammar and Composition III Abeka Quiz 13
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
The Lightning Thief: The Problem
Welcome to Camp Half Blood
The Meaning of Family
Percy Gets Expelled Vocabulary