Ingesting high levels of can result in death. Breathing high levels can cause respiratory irritation. Low levels can result in nausea and vomiting, decreased production of RBCs and WBCs, abnormal heart rhythm, damage to blood vessels, and a sensation of "pins and needles" in hands and feet. Long time exposure to low levels results in darkening of the skin and the appearance of small corns or warts on the palm, soles, and torso. Skin contact with inorganic As may cause redness and swelling. Ingestion of organic arsenic can cause diarrhea and kidney damage. Ingested inorganic As is a risk factor for cancers of the skin, liver, bladder, and lungs.
Inhaled inorganic As risk factor for lung cancer. Arsenic can cross the placenta and can be found in breast milk. Lower IQ scores from long term exposure. Low birth weight, fetal malformation, fetal death from fetal exposure.