prescribed for alcohol cessation
Inhibition of the enzyme which metabolizes alcohol in the body. Negative consequences occur when alcohol is ingested.
Unpleasant reactions when even a small amount of alcohol is ingested: flushing, vomiting, pulsating headache, sweating, confusion, chest pain, tachycardia.
Potential serious reactions to ingestion of alcohol: sudden severe hypotension, acute congestive heart failure, respiratory depression, convulsions, unconsciousness, hepatotoxicity, sudden death.
- The patient must be very motivated to stop drinking
- The patient must be aware of the potential for very serious interactions if even a small amount of alcohol is ingested
- Products containing alcohol must not be used (mouthwash, cologne, other grooming products)
- Patients who are not motivated stop taking the medication and begin drinking again