english exam 3
Terms in this set (32)
how do we know about ancient mythology?
1. oral tradiation 2. archaeology 3. art 4. literature
What is an epic?
a long narrative poem about the deeds of a hero
What are the characteristics of an epic?
1. vast setting 2. larger-than-life hero, sometimes superhuman 3. supernatural involvment 4. hero represents traits most valued by society 5. usually begins in medias res 6. tragic theme 7. formal introduction that includes an invocation to a muse
What are the concepts in an epic?
1. loyalty, devotion, fortitude
2. strong body and strong intellect 3. truimph of good over evil 4. fate and free will5. wandering hero
4 purposes of a myth in society
1. rationalize and explain the universe and all that is in it 2. seek to explain everyday national phenoma 3. used to explain human nature, institutions, and practices 4. used to delineate the relationships between the various gods and other mythical people
Ideal traits of Greek Heros and Heroines
9 types of word play
1. pun 2. analogy 3. metaphor 4. malapropism 5. paradox 6. oxymoron 7. hyperbole 8. personification 9. allusion
7 dramatic elements
1. foil 2. soliloquy 3. repitition of words and phrases to increase tension and create emotional impact 4. imagery 5. comic relief 6. dramatic irony 7. foreshadowing
2 types of poetry and what they mean
Blank verse - unrhymed iambic pentameter
Sonnett - 14 line poem written in iambic pentameter
4 basic elements of drama
1. setting 2. dialouge 3. characters 4. plot
7 features of drama
1. set and scenery 2. stage directions 3. script 4. costumes 5. sound effects 6. lighting 7. props
What is the structure of drama
Plot has a five part structure that follows the narrative pattern and there is division into scenes and groups of scenes
Two forms of drama and what they mean
Tragedy -a story that explores the downfall of a tragic hero, usually of noble birth, ends in death because of some kind of tragic flaw
Comedy - is a story with a lighthearted plot that ends happily, often with marriage
What is a tragic flaw
a character weakness that causes the downfall of a tragic hero
What is foil?
characters who have contrasting characteristics, emphasizing the traits of each other
what is foreshadowing?
hints in a text about what will come later
what is a soliloquy?
a longer speech that reveals the innermost thoughts and feelings of the character who speaks it.
what is imagery?
words that appeal to the five senses
What is comic relief ?
humourous scenes and characters who lighten the mood
what is dramatic irony?
when readers/viewers know something a character does not
what is a pun
words that sound the same but have different meanings—sometimes used for comedy.
what is a double entedre
is meaning that can be taken more than one way.
what is malapropism
comical mistake involving the use of the wrong word for something.
what is an analogy
what is a paradox
a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense but yet is perhaps true—
what is a metaphor
what is personification
human characteristics given to object, animal, or idea
what is a hyperbole
what is an oxymoron
pair of words that seem to mean opposite things but make sense when thought of in a certain way
what is an allusion
reference to something outside the text
Talk about light and dark imagery in Romeo and Juliet
- used mostly to describe Juliet's beauty, mostly compared to the sun
- ex. It is the east, and Juliet is the sun
- used mostly when referring to secrets
- ex. night's cloak
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Academic English (SAT GMAT TOEIC TOEFL IELTS)
Literary Terms- Fassi
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
science exam 3 hard
vocab for science exam
English Exam 3 IDs only
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Science Sections 4 and 5
Civics Trimester 3 Exam Study Guide
Science Chapter 2:Exploring the Ocean SECTION 1
french numbers 1-19