Create an account
1. Why the chapter is entitled "The Sound of the Shell"?
Ralph finds a conch and blows it to gather all the children.
2. What is Ralph's attitude toward Piggy in the first chapter?
He ignores piggy, makes fun of his name and is rude.
3. What is the significance of Piggy's plea to join the expedition?
Piggy believes that he was the first one to be with ralph so he should be chosen.
6. Why is Jack unable to kill the pig?
Because he was raised in a civilized society were killing an animal is not common.
7. What do Piggy, Simon, and the littlun with the birthmark have in common?
They all have a disability.
9. Why did Golding use British school boys?
Because he was British himself and new the culture also the British are very proud of their civilized manners a downfall of British civilization would symbolize down fall of humanity.
10. How is Piggy revealed as most closely tied to the world of adults?
Piggy follows the rules of adults although they are not around. And he is more mature.
11. How is Piggy indirectly responsible for the blowing of the conch?
He cannot blow it himself but he teaches ralph how to.
1. What question does the littlun with the birthmark raise?
He asks what are they going to do about the beastie.
3. How do Ralph and Jack answer the question about the beast?
Ralph denies the presence of a beast on the other hand jack promises to kill it.
4. What is the significance of the chapter's title, "Fire on the Mountain"?
They start a fire, to be rescued.
2. Why does Ralph reproach Jack?
Because jack only cares about hunting and does not help in building the shelters.
3. What two groups with differing goals are emerging?
Ralphs group the builders and the hunters jacks group.
1. What is the significance of the title "Painted Faces and Long Hair"?
The boys have long hair which shows the amount of time they have been away from society. The Painted faces how they are changing into a tribe of wild people.
2. Why does Roger, throwing stones at the littluns, aim just to miss?
He wants to pick on the littluns but he remembers the punishment he would receive if he hurt another kid.
3. What definite stand does Ralph make?
Ralph kills the excitement of the hunters by saying that jack was not responsible enough to keep the fire-burning and they miss a chance of rescue.
1. What is the significance of the title "Beast from Water"?
The title shows that the boys are looking for a beast but since the beast cannot be found on the island they say that it comes from water.
2. What is the paradox of the boys' attitude toward the beast?
Percival's beast is the giant squid that his father told him about.
3. Why does Ralph call a meeting?
because there is disorder on the island the boys are not following the rules, making the island filthy, setting different places on fire, and not paying attention to rescue. He wants to set everybody strait.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together