Upgrade to remove ads
Politics of the United States
US Constitution Part 1a
Terms in this set (40)
How many Articles are in the US Constitution?
How many amendments have been added to the US Constitution?
Are amendments considered part of the Constitution?
What is the topic of Article 1?
What is the topic of Article 2?
What is the topic of Article 3?
What major concept is included in Article 6?
Supremacy of National Law
8. How old does someone need to be before they may serve in the House of Representatives?
9. How long is the term of office of a member of the House of Representatives?
10. How old does someone need to be before they may serve in the US Senate?
11. What is the term of office for a US Senator?
12. How many (fraction) of the Senators are elected for each new term of Congress?
13. Each state is guaranteed at least how many representatives to the US House?
1 for every 650,000 people
14. Who arranges to fill vacancies at times other than elections?
The governor/ state legislatures
15. Which house of Congress has the power of Impeachment? (Bringing the charges)
16. Which house of Congress has the power to determine guilt / innocence in Impeachment cases?
17. Every state is guaranteed how many Senators regardless of population?
18. Who is the presiding officer of the Senate?
19. Who is the presiding officer of the House of Representatives?
The Speaker of the House
20. What are the sole powers of the US senate?
Approve treaties; confirm pres. Appointments, jury for the impeachment trail
21. Who serves as the judge in an impeachment trial?
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
22. What is the punishment if found guilty in an impeachment trial?
Removal from office
23. Elections are under the control of what government authority?
24. What is the date upon which Congress is to begin each year?
25. Can this date by changed by simply passing a law?
26. Under what conditions can members of Congress force absent members to attend?
27. Who determines whether a member is fit to hold a seat in Congress?
Each house chamber has adopted detailed rules to guide its proceedings
28. How can a member of Congress be forced to give up their seat after having been elected?
2/3 of votes are for expulsion; expelled by other members
29. How long can one house of Congress hold meetings if the other has adjourned?
30. Members of Congress may be arrested during a session only in what type of cases?
Treason, Felony, and Breach of Peace
31. Who holds the power to rule over the District of Columbia?
Congress- joint the House & Senate
32. Analyze the Necessary and Proper Clause.
Expands power of the Congress- based on enumerated powers
33. In which house of Congress must revenue bills begin?
House of Representative
34. How did Amendment 17 change Article 1?
Direct election of Senators
35. What is the purpose of the Preamble to the US Constitution?
States the purpose for the document
36. What is the primary responsibility of the US Congress?
To pass laws
37. How is a treaty ratified?
2/3 of the Senates votes must approved the treaties
38. How is the President and Vice President selected if there is a tie in the Electoral College?
- The House chooses the President
- The Senate chooses the Vice President
39. What restrictions are placed on members of Congress?
- Can't hold other offices in government
- Can't accept gifts from foreign governments w/o consent of Congress
40. What are the three sole powers held by the House of Representatives?
- chooses the President in case no candidate has received majority in the Electoral College
- Bring impeachment charges
- introduce revenue bills
Recommended textbook explanations
Magruder's American Government
William A. McClenaghan
United States Government: Principles in Practice
Luis Ricardo Fraga
United States Government: Democracy In Action
Richard C. Remy
This set is often in folders with...
US COnstitution part 2
US Constitution part 3a
US constitution part 3b
You might also like...
US Constitution Article 1 Questions
House of Representatives VS Senate
US Government Ch. 05 Questions
Other sets by this creator
HIST 2112E - FINAL KEY TERMS
UNIT 6D - US HISTORY OP - CHAPTER 30/31 : Key Term…
UNIT 2A - US HISTORY OP - CHAPTER 18: Key Terms /…
UNIT 1A - US HISTORY OP - CHAPTER 17 : Key Terms /…
Other Quizlet sets
patho ch 12
chapter 14 final exam
Texas Government chapter 5
Reference words example