Create an account
3. In the 1980s, only large universities and ________ were able to access the Internet including e-mail.
b The government
7. A series of steps that describe what a computer must do to solve a problem or perform a task is a(n) ________.
10. If you assign different user names for each user of your computer, the operating system creates a special ________
11. Windows and Macs are equipped with ________ capabilities to allow different devices to automatically be recognized
C. plug and play
12. When one task uses its ________ or is interrupted by a task of higher priority, the task is suspended and the other
13. To ensure that programs run quickly, operating systems use the computer's RAM as a(n) ________.
17. When Task Manager is visible, select the ________ tab to view a list of processes running.
18. The status bar of the Task Manager provides information about the ________ and memory usage.
19. To enable a printer to keep up with the amount of data sent to it by the computer, a ________ program is used.
20. A type of computer operating system user interface that is commonly used today is ________.
22. In a command line operating system , the command copy C:\myfile.txt F:\myfile.txt will copy ________.
A. myfile from disk C to disk F
23. ________ is a feature that enables subtle animations and translucent glass windows that can be custom colored.
26. The Linux operating system called ________ was released to promote One Laptop per Child.
29. Google's operating system that supports many types of mobile devices is called ________.
30. ________ are designed to copy files periodically in case your hard drive fails.
C. Backup software utilities
31. A ________ can find bad sectors on your hard drive and block access to them.
D.Disk scanning program
32. One of the most important utility software packages for any computer connected to the Internet is ________.
34. Over time, your disk drive tends to develop small areas scattered across its surfaces. The way to fix this problem
C. Disk defregmentation utility
35. One method of reducing the space a file takes up on your disk is called file ________.
36. A utility that is handy for people with poor eyesight is called a(n) ________ utility.
37. One step you should take to keep your operating system current is to enable ________.
A. Automatic system updates
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together