Fresh features from the #1 AI-enhanced learning platform.Try it free
Fresh features from the #1 AI-enhanced learning platformCrush your year with the magic of personalized studying.Try it free

Series 66

5.0 (3 reviews)
Get a hint
Registration as an agent
Click the card to flip 👆
1 / 135
1 / 135
Terms in this set (135)
If you receive direct compensation from a commission, you must register as an agent. If you represent a broker-dealer that charges commissions or an underwriting fee, you must register as an agent. If you do not charge a commission and are effecting exempt transactions and/or transacting exempt securities, you do not need to register as an agent. However, unless you are representing some sort of government-oriented entity, you usually do need to register. For example, if you represent a firm that doesn\'t charge a commission for the sale of a municipal or federal security, but does receive an underwriting fee, you have to register.
Under the Dodd-Frank Bill, investment advisers with less than $100 million in assets under management must register with the states. If the adviser manages a registered investment company, the adviser must be federal covered. If the person serves as a pension consultant with $200 million or more in AUM, the person has the option of registering with the SEC. A person whose sole advice deals with U.S. government securities is excluded from the federal definition of investment adviser and, therefore, under the NSMIA, is considered a federal covered adviser.
The principal executives of the company involved with money and a majority of the board of directors are required to sign the registration statement attesting to the facts presented as being true to the best of their knowledge and belief. This includes the chief executive officer, chief financial officer, and a majority of the board, but not the chief operating officer.