Unit 5/6?: Campbell Biology; Tenth Edition; Chapter 8; An Introduction to Metabolism *MartinezCynthia*
• An organism's metabolism transforms matter and energy, subject to the laws of thermodynamics.
• The free-energy change of a reaction tells us whether or not the reaction occurs spontaneously.
• ATP powers cellular work by coupling exergonic reactions to endergonic reactions.
• Enzymes speed up metabolic reactions by lowering energy barriers.
• Regulation of enzyme activity helps control metabolism.