Vocaburary Unit 16
Terms in this set (11)
an extremely dangerous or difficult situation:
- an economic crisis
a type of machine through which liquid or gas flows and turns a special wheel with blades in order to produce power:
- a steam turbine
(of a change) severe and sudden; extreme:
- In the desert there's a drastic change in temperature from day to night.
Renewable substances can be used and easily replaced:
- renewable energy resources
(of gasoline (= a fuel)) not containing lead (= a metal):
- Most cars today use unleaded gas.
to keep and protect from waste, loss, or damage; preserve:
- In order to conserve fuel, they put in extra insulation.
to use fuel, energy, or time, esp. in large amounts:
- Weekend shopping chores consumed much of her time.
to react to something with an opposing opinion or action; to defend yourself against something:
- To counter the inaccuracies in the movie, researchers used computer models to project climate changes.
to reduce something in size or amount, esp. supplies, energy, or money:
- Acid rain depletes the region's fish stocks.
to use or spend something, esp. time, effort, or money:
- They expend all their energy fixing up their house.
to keep or continue to have something:
- Francis retained control of the company.