3.2.1 Study: The PSAT
Terms in this set (11)
Describe what the PSAT/NMSQT is.
pretest for the SAT typically taken by tenth- and eleventh-grade students
What are the advantages to taking the PSAT?
1. offers feedback on where your strengths and weaknesses lie
2. allows you to see how you will perform on actual test
3. increases chance of earning a high score on the SAT by familiarizing with the types of ?s
4. can opt to have colleges send you info by checking yes to Student Search Service on the test
5. recieve free access to MyRoad a college and career planning tool
6. five you opportunity to enter NMSC scholarship programs
What does the MyRoad resource allow students to do?
1. Discover their interests
2. Explore college majors related to their interests
3. Build a list of potential colleges and simplify the application process
4. Create and save a personal planning portfolio that they can share with teachers, counselors, and family
What is the ORA Personality Profiler?
an online assessment that you can take to learn about your personality and get suggestions about college majors and careers
How long are students given to complete each section of the PSAT?
60 min evidence based reading sect
35 min writing and language section
70 min math sect
What does the evidence-based reading section of the PSAT assess a student on?
1 passage on U.S./world literature with 9 questions
2 passages on social studies/history with 18-20 questions
2 passages on science with 18-20 questions
What is a student supposed to do with the grid-ins on the math section of the PSAT?
you will need to enter an answer
What areas of math are tested on the PSAT?
16 heart of algebra questions
13 data analysis and problem solving questions
16 passport to advanced math questions
2 questions on additional topics in math
What abilities does the writing and language section of the PSAT assess?
a student's ability to express ideas effectively, recognize errors in usage and structure, and use language with consideration to meaning
What is the minimum and maximum score for each section of the PSAT?
A score between 160 and 760 is given for the evidence-based reading and writing sections and a score between 160 and 760 is given for the math section
What does the Selection Index determine?
This score is used to determine a student's eligibility for the National Merit Scholarship Program