Upgrade to remove ads
PSY312 chapter 7
Terms in this set (25)
intelligence test in 1905
measured a variety of mental abilities regarding school
The Standford- Binet test,
who is smarter? early 19th century
women's intellect was inferior to mens
standford binet test
at first showed women were less intelligent, but now shows no gender difference
assessed a range of abilities, verbal and performance skills.
this showed women scored higher on verbal subtests and men scored higher on performance subtests
writing performance is higher, but not a huge difference
only 1% attributed to sex, leaving the other 99% to other factors
no gender differences in childhood, but in pubsecences boys outperform girls
over predicts mens grades, and under predicts women's grades in math.
measures information learned
attitudes towards math
girls get more bullied than boys for being a nerd if they're good at math.
sex, gender stereotype, and how they interact, accepting the stereotype, and your omothers perception, accepting that perception, that all plays into self perception of ability
measures ability, or self perception of ability
ability to identify and locate horizontal and vertical planes
men out perform girls
visualizing an object as they would appear if rotated
boys rated higher
ability to process spatial information so as to understand the relationship between objects in space.
- seeing a figure within another figure
finding hidden image in a drawing
gender differences don't always appear.
tracking objects moving through space
research is mixed
visual spatial and nonverbal processing
language and analytical thinking
selection/gender differences during evolution
"men are gathers, females are cookers"
impossible to confirm or disconfirm, those societies are gone and can no longer be observed.
not a useful scientific explanation
brain imaging technology (fMRI, PET scan)
left hemisphere: verbal
right hemisphere: spatial tasks
patterns of activation are more similar between men/woman than not.
training and experience
performance on spatial tasks can change depending on instructions and experience
The presence of negative stereotypes affects the performance of those to whom the stereotype applies
ex) women are bad at math, so they believe it
diversity amongst cognition
varies with culture.
Attitude Interest Analysis Survey
First masculinity/femininity Scale
Built on the assumptions that M/F differences were SUPPOSED to be found, so, naturally, they were!
Feminity scale items valid?
Based only on the responses of 13 homosexual males
a person's belief that she or he
can be successful at a task.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Ch. 7 Reading Psych of Gender
AP Psychology Unit 11
AP Psych Unit 11: Testing & Individual Differences
AP Psych Unit 11
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
bio 102- modules: 12, 13, 14, 15
BIL102 - test 3
gene exam 2 autism/epilepsy/cerebal palsy/other sy…
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
unit 4 study review
Chapter 9 Part 2: 3rd Line Defenses and Vaccines
ENLIGHTENMENT QUIZ TWO STUDY GUIDE