5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- John Jay, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison
- New Jersey Plan
- Bill of Rights
- Weaknesses of Articles of Confederation
- James Madison quote
- a 1. Lacked power to enforce laws (no power to put down rebellions) 2. Lacked power to levy taxes (no way to raise money for roads, schools) 3. Lacked power to regulate trade among states (made trade difficult between states because of taxes on goods as they passed through each state) 4. Required all 13 states to approve changes in the Articles (made it difficult to make any changes in laws)
- b The three men who wrote The Federalist Papers.
- c Said, "If men were angels, no government would be necessary."
- d The first ten amendments to the Constitution
- e Plan for one house and representation would be equal for all states.
5 Multiple choice questions
- People who were against the Constitution
- Rebels take over a Massachusetts courthouse and farmers won the sympathy of many people. Showed weakness in Articles of Confederation
- System of government in which power is shared between the central government and the states.
- 1. Governed nation during the American Revolutionary War (raised army, paid soldiers) 2. Negotiated the Treaty of Paris at end of war (established independence from Britain and set boundaries for US) 3. Passed the Land Ordinance of 1785 - (townships and free public education) 4. Passed the Northwest Ordinance how new territory settled and settlers' rights (Outlawed slavery, guaranteed freedom of religion, trial by jury)
- 1st plan for a national government developed at the 1776 Continental Congress
5 True/False questions
Executive Compromise → Compromise that settled the issue of representation in Congress - the Senate would give each state equal representation, and the House of Representatives would have representation based on on state's population
Northwest Territory → Described how the new territory would be governed, and set conditions for settlement.
Patrick Henry → The people choose representative for them.
James Madison → Said, "If men were angels, no government would be necessary."
Virginian Plan → Plan for one house and representation would be equal for all states.