Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 18 - Whole and Part Practice
Terms in this set (17)
- The number of parts or components and the degree of information processing that characterize a skill; more complex skills have more component parts.
("Complexity is distinct from "Difficulty")
- When applied to a complex motor skill, the relationships among the components of the skill.
What are the Three Part-Task Strategies (from Wrightman and Lintern)?
2. Segmentation (progressive part method)
- A part-task training method related to asymmetric coordination skills that involves practicing each arm or leg separately before performing with them together.
- First practicing with the limb that includes the more difficult or more complex part.
- A part-task training method that involves separating the skill into parts and then practicing the parts so that after one part is practiced, it is then practiced together with the next part, and so on; also known as the Progressive Part Method.
Segmentation (Progressive Part Method)
- A part-task training method that involves reducing the difficulty of specific parts or features of a skill.
- Reduce skill difficulty by practicing an easier (i.e. simpler) variation of the skill before practicing the skill itself.
Examples of Simplification methods:
- Reduce object difficulty
- Reduce attention demands
- Reduce movement speed
- Add auditory cues
- Progressive sequences of increasing skill difficulty or complexity
- Simulators and virtual reality environments
- A practice strategy that involves practicing a skill in its entirety (i.e. as a whole).
- A practice strategy that involve practicing parts of a skill before practicing the whole skill.
- Spatial and Temporal relationships among the parts of the skill.
________ level of organization: Parts are spatially and temporally INTERDEPENDENT.
HIGH level of organization.
________ level of organization: Parts are relatively INDEPENDENT.
LOW level of organization.
When to use Whole or Part practice?
Analyze the skill to determine which part of each continuum for COMPLEXITY and ORGANIZATION best represents the skill.
When is practice BEST?
When the skill is LOW in Complexity and HIGH in Organization.
When should one practice via the Part Method?
When the skill is HIGH in Complexity and LOW in Organization.
Supporting body weight can Reduce ___________ Demands in Gait Training.
A "part practice" strategy that provides BOTH part and whole practice:
Practicing the whole skill but focus attention on specific parts that need work.
This set is often in folders with...
Chapter 16 - Practice Variability and Specificity
Chapter 17 - The Amount and Distribution of Practi…
Chapter 1 - Introduction to Motor Learning and Abi…
Chapter 19 - Mental Practice
You might also like...
kin 3513 ch. 18- terms may need to know
Ch. 18 Whole and Part Practice
Motor Learning - Chapter 18 - Whole and Part Pract…
Other sets by this creator
Reading Vocab (12 Rules For Life)
Muscles of the Shoulder - Origin, Insertion, Inner…
GRE Vocab II, GRE Vocab I
GRE Vocab II