New Testament Ch13-18
Terms in this set (117)
1. Which country was the dominant military and political force of the second century?
2. Octavian was known in the New Testament as?
3. Who was the Roman emperor when Christ was born?
4. Galilee was included in the Roman province of?
5. In what part of the Roman Empire did Paul plant his first church?
6. What was the capital of the Roman province of Asia?
7. Which Roman ruler plays the least significance in the New Testament?
8. Which Roman emperor is most known for his persecution of Christians?
9. One of the reasons that Christianity was able to grow so much in the first century was because of?
Pax Romana (relative peace, common language (Greek), social order enabling safe travel, increasing network of roads and sea routes)
10. A culture that is said to have Hellenistic influence has been affected by the culture of?
11. What was the language of culture during the Roman Empire?
12. In what area did Greece have a significantly higher standard than Rome?
literary and intellectual accomplishments
13. Religious syncretism was good for Christianity because it?
new religious claims had a ready audience
14. Combining the beliefs of different religions is termed?
15. The influence of ancient Greek and Roman mythology is demonstrated in Acts 14:12 when Christian missionaries were?
hailed as Zeus and Hermes
16. What did ancient philosophers consider as a basis for human knowledge?
rationality, experience, will
17. Who were the radical activists of antiquity?
18. Which school of philosophy is most likely to hold that knowledge grows out of experience?
19. During which festival in Jerusalem did Christ's spirit move in an unusual way?
20. How many accepted Christ at Pentecost?
21. Conflict over Jewish custom arose between early Christians and Jews in the A.D. __________'s?
22. In what year did the Jerusalem Council take place?
23. The Jerusalem Council was convened to?
settle whether Christians from non-Jewish backgrounds had to follow the customs/law
1. Who is the author of Acts?
2. When was Acts most likely written?
3. Acts of the Apostles is primarily concerned with the ministry of?
4. The author of Acts demonstrated extensive knowledge of?
geography, local politics and customs, seafaring, and 1st century Mediterranean world
5. What percentage of Acts is in the form of speeches and sermons?
6. The earliest proclamation about the dead and risen Jesus is best called?
7. The literary quality of Acts is?
high; its prose possesses elegance and polish
8. Acts is primarily what kind of narrative?
9. Who was the replacement for Judas Iscariot?
10. Another name for Pentecost is?
Festival of Weeks
11. Which Old Testament prophet did Peter use in his sober message at Pentecost?
12. What were the results of the conversions at Pentecost found in Acts 2:42-47?
meeting in temple courts
heartfelt praise of God and favor with outsiders
13. In Acts 5:19 who released the apostles when they were imprisoned?
14. Who was the first martyr?
15. Whose sermon recorded in Acts 7 summed up the key elements of apostolic instruction in the early church?
16. What is the clearest indication of the progress of the gospel?
growth and social cohesion
17. What former enemy of the church witnessed the stoning of Stephen?
1. Where was the gospel of salvation through Jesus first preached?
2. Chapters 8-12 of Acts begin a focus on?
gospel's surge beyond Jerusalem
also gospel impact on individual lives
3. Why is Philip the evangelist a significant figure in Acts?
he was one of the first to take the gospel message outside Jerusalem
4. Where was Philip the evangelist traveling when he met the Ethiopian eunuch?
5. What is the contemporary name for the country from which the Ethiopian eunuch came?
present day Southern Egypt and Northern Sudan
6. Who did Peter heal that had been paralyzed for eight years?
7. At whose home did Peter stay while he was in Joppa?
Simon the Tanner
8. How many men by the name of Simon are mentioned in the New Testament?
9. Who predicted a famine would occur during the reign of Claudius?
10. In Acts 8-12 what two individuals did not respond favorably to the gospel?
Simon the Sorcerer
11. Those who pretended to repent and became involved in the church in order to gain personally are like the New Testament character?
Simon the Sorcerer
12. What did Herod do to the guards who were on duty when Peter was released from jail?
13. Who was used as an object lesson to teach that God does not show favorites?
14. Peter had an important vision when staying at the home of?
Simon the tanner
15. Peter gave orders to new converts to?
be baptized in Jesus' name
16. To what place did Paul escape after his conversion when a plot was devised to kill him?
17. In what city was Paul born?
18. Who converted a sorcerer?
19. Who announced to Paul the restoration of his eyesight?
20. Who gave exemplary care of the poor?
21. Who was Cornelius?
a Roman military commander
22. Who was the first apostle to die for Jesus?
1. In apostolic days Jerusalem was overshadowed in Christian importance by?
2. The Antioch church was important because it?
had ethnic diversity and became the primary missionary church
3. Who did the Antiochian church send with Paul on the first missionary journey?
4. Who was converted in Cyprus on Paul's first missionary journey?
5. To what places was the letter that addresses the issues of the Jerusalem Council sent?
6. Who were the couriers of the letter from the Jerusalem Council?
Judas and Silas
7. Who joined Paul and Silas at Lystra on the second missionary journey?
8. How long did the second missionary journey last?
9. Where did Paul have his longest known ministry?
10. The farthest point that Paul's third missionary journey took him was what is now called?
11. Paul was saved from scourging because of his?
12. Which Roman procurator was the first to hear Paul's case?
13. What was the ultimate goal of Paul's enemies?
14. Whose idea was it for Paul to be tried by Caesar?
15. What happened to Paul on Malta?
bitten by a viper
16. List the Prison Letters.
17. How long was Paul imprisoned in Rome?
1. Paul was born in what is now modern day?
2. Paul was most likely educated in?
3. Which early church is a good model for a contemporary multiracial church?
4. On which of Paul's missionary journeys was a church founded in Berea?
5. The third missionary journey began in A.D. 53 and ended in A.D. ________?
6. For which book is Paul's authorship most disputed by modern critical scholars?
7. What is at the center of Paul's theology?
8. How many times is the name of God mentioned in the New Testament?
9. When Paul preached that God is personal and accessible, he was speaking especially to?
10. The issue of the law was addressed by Paul most in the books of?
Romans and Galatians
11. Which term does Paul use the most in his writing when referring to the Messiah?
12. In which passage does Paul emphasize Christ's oneness with God and yet his willingness to take on a human form?
13. When Paul emphasizes the cosmic dimensions to Jesus' work, he is addressing issues that are best classified as?
14. Christ's death "as a ransom for all" is called?
15. Jewish leaders pressed for a Roman death for Jesus because?
because they believed it would prove he wasn't the messiah
16. What Old Testament passage did the Jewish leaders have in mind when they wanted Jesus crucified?
17. On what event does the message of Christ stand?
18. In which Pauline epistle does the word "church" not appear?
2Timothy and Titus
19. What is the highest virtue in Paul's ethics?
20. In which book does Paul repeatedly emphasize that Christians should perform good works?
21. What is parousia?
22. Eschatology is best defined as?
1. How many Epistles are generally assumed to be written by Paul?
2. How are the Pauline Epistles arranged in the New Testament?
longest to shortest
3. Which New Testament book has had the greatest influence on world history?
4. Paul's theology in the Epistle to the Romans strongly influenced which individuals in church history?
Clement of Rome
Clement of Alexandria
5. What was the farthest point north that the Roman Empire reached?
6. The earliest church leader in Rome was?
7. Paul wrote Romans while in?
8. Define contextualization and give an example?
tailoring remarks to the reader's situation
9. What is Paul's introductory statement in the Epistle to the Romans called?
10. People of Paul's time believed that there was a God and their response was to worship?
11. The people of Paul's time can best be described as?
12. Paul teaches that sinful people can ultimately be granted salvation only by?
Christ's death on the cross
13. What must a person do to share in the blessing of Abraham?
14. When Paul dealt with issues of eating meat, he was dealing with the theological issue of?
15. Who said that understanding of Romans was a key to understanding all Scripture?
16. The most likely date for the writing of Romans is?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
16 Fundamental Truths of Assemblies of God
100 Key Verses
Unit 1 Introduction Unit 2 Jesus, Unit 3 Mark, Unit 4 Matthew, Unit 5 Luke, Unit 6 John
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Gatlin's Generic/Trade name Meds Test
Gatlin's Class/Generic Meds Test
Diabetes Meds (non-insulin)
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
New Testament Ch. 19-24
New Testament Ch1-5
New Testament Ch. 6-12
New Testament WCU CH 1-5