5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- City- State
- the Odyssey
- Heinrich Schleimann
- a one of the greatest of the ancient Athenian philosophers pupil of Plato; teacher of Alexander the Great (384-322 BC)
- b A city and its surrounding lands functioning as an independent political unit.
- c German businessman, found the sites of Mycenae and Troy
- d was written by Homer and was about Odysseus' 10 year struggle to get home
- e ancient Greek epic poet who is believed to have written the Iliad and the Odyssey (circa 850 BC)
5 Multiple choice questions
- was formed to protect against threats from persia (after the persian war)
- study of the technique and rules for using language effectively (especially in public speaking)
- an ancient Greek city famous for military prowess. Located on the southern Peloponnesus
- a Greek epic poem (attributed to Homer) describing the siege of Troy
- earliest Greek civilization that had developed on the island of Crete by 2000 B.C.
5 True/False questions
Marathon → a battle in 490 BC in which the Athenians and their allies defeated the Persians
Philip of Macedon → (Father of Alexander the Great). An ambitious king of Macedonia who was gradually bringing Greece under his control.
Pythagoras → Greek philosopher and mathematician who proved the Pythagorean theorem, considered to be the first true mathematician (circa 580-500 BC)
Alexander the Great → king of Macedon x. conqueror of Greece and Egypt and Persia; founder of Alexandria (356-323 BC)
Hippocrates → Greek philosopher who discussed laws, customs, values, religion with students; he was accused of urging young people to think for themselves, he was sentenced to drink hemlock