Upgrade to remove ads
FIRST Part 4
Terms in this set (114)
They think the owner of the house is in France #(THOUGHT)#//The owner of the house __________________ in France.
is thought to be
My parents last spoke to me a month ago . #(HEARD)#//I __________________ my parents for a month.
25. haven't heard from
All the students had a lot of respect for their teacher. #(LOOKED)#//All the students __________________ their teacher
26. looked up to
Linda didn't feel like eating. #(MOOD)#//Linda wasn't _________________eat.
27. in the mood to
My brother was treated unfairly by his teachers. #(DESERVE)#//My brother ____________- treated that way by his teachers.
28. didn't deserve to be
He couldn't buy the car he wanted because he didn't have enough money #(TOO)#//The car he wanted was ______________buy.
29. too expensive for him to
We all agreed with my father's proposal apart from Joy. #(EXCEPTION)#//With __________________, we all agreed with-my father's proposal
30. the exception of Joy
Michael's wife finds getting up early every morning difficult. #(USED)#//Michael's wife _________up early every morning.
25. isn't used to getting
What a pity you didn't come to the party. #(WISH)#//I _____________to the part
26. wish you had come
The burglar failed to enter the house through the first floor window. #(SUCCEED)#//The burglar___________ the house through the first floor window.
27. didn't succeed in entering
28. My hair needs to be cut before the wedding reception. #(MUST)#//I ___________before the wedding reception.
28. must have/get my hair cut
29. "Why didn't I ask her out last night?" John said to himself. #(WONDERED)#//John ______________________asked her out the night before.
29. wondered why he hadn't
30. They think that their school teacher is a very rich man. #(BELIEVED)#//Their school teacher ___________a very rich man.
30. is believed to be
25. The hairdresser did Mary's hair last Tuesday. #(HAD)#//Mary .______________last Tuesday.
25. had her hair done
26. Andrew's job is to supervise all the employees of the company. #(RESPONSIBLE)#//Andrew______________ all the employees of the company.
26. is responsible for supervising
27. Harry reads faster than his little sister. #(READER)#//Harry______________his little sister.
27. is a faster reader than
28. "I didn't steal the lady's purse", said the boy. #(DENIED)#//The boy ______________the lady's purse.
28. denied stealing/having stolen
29. It was our first trip to Italy so we were very excited about it. #(TIME)#//It was the ______________to Italy so we were very excited about i
29. first time we had travelled/been
"Whose car is this?" he asked. #(BELONG)#//"Who ______________?" he asked.
30. does this car belong to
25. You needan hour to go to the city centre by train. #(TAKES)#//The______________ city centre in an hour.
25. train gets/takes you to the
26. Writing on these walls is prohibited. #(SUPPOSED)#//You______________ on these walls.
26. are not supposed to write
27. The bad weather conditions and the driver's carelessness caused the accident. #(BY)#//The accident the ______________bad weather conditions and the driver's carelessness.
27. was caused by
28. The two boys are identical twins and they look exactly the same. #(TELL)#//I______________ between the two boys.
28. cannot tell the difference
29. Perhaps your family left early last night. #(MAY)#//Your family ______________last night.
29. may have left early
30. It's a pity our teammate behaved like that. #(WISH)#//I ______________behaved like that
30. wish our teammate had not
25. We paid 100 pounds for his new trainers. #(US )#//His new trainers______________ 100 pounds.
25. cost us
26. The expert had no idea that the painting was not genuine. #(KNOW)#//Little______________ that the painting was not genuine.
26. did the expert know
27. Mary and her mother both dislike Italian food. #(NOR)#//Neither ______________Italian food.
27. Mary nor her mother like
28. Helen has never seen such beautiful houses. #(MOST)#//These are______________ has ever seen.
28. the most beautiful houses Helen
29. I am sure they lied to you. #(HAVE)#//They ______________to you.
29. must have lied
30. The neighbours took care of her cat while she was in Poland. #(AFTER)#//The neighbours ______________while she was in Poland.
30. looked after her cat
25. She made her children wash the dishes. #(WERE)#//Her children ______________the dishes.
25. were made to wash
26. "Let's play chess", he said. #(PLAYING)#//He ______________chess.
26. suggested playing
27. I'm sure they.didn't show up here last night. #(SHOWN)#//They ______________ here last night.
27. can't/couldn't have shown up
28. Her parents don't want her to smoke at home. #(OBJECT)#//Her parents ______________ at home.
28. object to her smoking
29. The last time Tim went to France was four years ago. #(BEEN)#//Tim ______________for four years.
29. hasn't been to France
30. The local council will build a new car park. #(BE)#//A new car park ______________the local council.
30. will be built by
25. "There is no reason to be alarmed", Joe said #(CAUSE)#//There was no ______________according to Joe.
25. cause for alarm
26. We all thought that man was George's father. #(FOR)#//We______________ George's father.
26. all (mis)took that man for
27. The vet examined my brother's pet dog last week. #(HAD)#//My brother ______________last week.
27. had his pet dog examined
28. "You both lied to my husband", Jane said to her parents. #(LYING)#//Jane______________ to her husband.
28. accused her parents of lying
29. This is the village where we were born. #(IN)#//This is the______________ born.
29. village in which we were
30. Peter likes to participate in team sports. #(PART)#//Peter likes______________ team sports.
30. to take part in
25. "Don't park near the bank!" the policeman said to us. #(NOT)#//The policeman______________ near the bank.
25. told us not to park
26. He tried really hard to recover from his wife's death. #(OVER)#//He tried really______________ hard wife's death
26. to get over his
27. We must make a decision now. #(HIGH)#//It's____________________________ a decision.
27. high time we made
28. They say the boss will be leaving the company soon. #(SAID)#//The boss ______________the company soon.
28. is said to be leaving
29. There wasn't much we could do to help him. #(LITTLE)#//There ______________to help him.
29. was little we could do
30. We ate everything except the salad. #(EAT)#//The only thing______________ the salad.
30. we didn't eat was
25. I haven't written to Bob since he left for Canada. #(LAST)#//The ______________ Bob was before he left for Canada.
25. last time I wrote to
26. The doctors told her to reduce the amount of fat she eats. #(DOWN)#//She was told by the doctors ______________ the amount of fat she eats
26. to cut down on
27. Michael is not usually rude. #(LIKE)#//It is______________ rude.
27. not like Michael to be
28. You can play football, but you must do your homework first. #(LONG)#//You can play football______________ your homework first.
28. as / so long as you do
29. My brother is as old as Sam's. #(SAME)#//Sam'sbrother ______________ mine.
29. is the same age as
30. It is possible that t~e teachers didn't see you cheating on the test. #(MAY)#//The teachers______________ cheating on the test.
30. may not have seen you
25. If we walk faster, we will get home sooner. #(THE)#//The______________ we will get home.
25. faster we walk the sooner
26. Tony began to learn the violin three years ago. #(LEARNING)#//Tony______________ the violin for three years.
26. has been learning
27. He intends to visit his relatives next summer. #(INTENTION)#//It______________ his relatives next summer.
27. is his intention to visit
28. I expect he was very happy to hear the news. #(BEEN)#//He______________ very happy to hear the news.
28. must have been
29. He failed the test because he hadn't studied. #(HAVE)#//He______________ if he had studied
29. would have passed the test
30. Someone stole Jane's purse while she was out. #(HAD)#//Jane ______________ while she was out.
30. had her purse stolen
35 In 2009 I went to Shanghai and I will never forget it. # REMEMBER# l ______________to Shanghai in 2009.
"will'll always remember going - -ing form when you 'remember' a past event; 'never' with 'forget' changes to 'always' with 'remember'"
36 It was foolish of you to ride your bike so fast. # SHOULD# You ______________ your bike so fast.
"should not /shouldn't | have ridden - negative past modal of irregular verb"
37 There was no point in staying at the party because my friends had left. # WORTH# My friends had left the party so ______________ there.
"it wasn't/was not |worth staying - 'there was' changes to 'it wasn't' with 'worth'"
38 lt's possible that the thieves hid the money in the countryside. # MIGHT# The thieves ______________ the money in the countryside.
might have | hidden - past modal of irregular verb
39 The climbers continued to go up the mountain even though it was snowing. # CARRIED# The climbers ______________ the mountain even though it was snowing.
carried on | going up - -ing form after a two-part verb
40 There isn't much chance of the weather improving today. # LlKELY# The weather _________________today.
isn't/ is not likely | to improve - to + infinitive form after 'likely'
41 I've decided that in future I'm not going to eat chocolate. # GIVE# I've decided that I'm going to ______________ chocolate.
give up | eating - -ing form after a phrasal verb
42 I'm sure Luisa was very upset when she lost her money. # HAVE# Luisa ______________ very upset when she lost her money.
must |have been - past modal indicating we are sure about a past event
1 We have arranged everything for your trip to China. # MADE# We have ______________ your trip to China.
MADE ALL THE ARRANGEMENTS FOR
35 I regret not buying that bike when I had the chanceo # WISH# I______________ that bike when I had the chance
wish I'd/l had bought
36 In spite of the heavy snow, we managed to get home quickly. # EVEN# We managed to get home quickly,______________ heavily.
even though Iit was snowing
37 'Did you see that film on Friday night?' Sean asked me. # SEEN# Sean wanted to know ______________ that film on Friday night.
if/whether I I'd/I had seen
38 I'm afraid you're not old enough to travel abroad by yourself. # OWN# You're not old enough to travel abroad ______________ , I'm afraid.
on your own
39 Jenny rang because she was worried about uso # RUNG# Jenny______________ she hadn't been worried about uso
"would not have rung/wouldn't have rung I if - third conditional indicated by past participle 'rung' + past perfect 'hadn't been'"
40 Have they repaired your computer yet? # HAD# Have ______________ yet?
"you had your computer repaired - 'they' changed to passive in 'have something done' structure"
41 It's been a long time since I last ate fish. # EATEN# I ______________ a long time.
"haven't eaten fish for - 'since' + past simple changes to negative form of present perfect + 'for'"
42 Everyone thinks that the band has split up. # THOUGHT# The band ______________ up.
"is thought | to have split - 'Everyone thinks' changes to passive 'is though1' + perfect infinitive 'to have split'"
1 Travelling by car is becoming increasingly expensive. # GETTING# Travelling by car ______________ expensive.
IS GETTING MORE
35 I'm sure it was a surprise when you saw Jake at the party. # BEEN# You ______________ see Jake at the party.
must have been | surprised to
36 This is a very dry part of the country. # HARDLY# In this part of the country ______________ rains.
it | hardly ever
37 In the morning I have a twenty-minute walk to school. # TAKES# In the morning ______________ to walk to school.
it takes me | twenty minutes
38 It was impossible for us to go to school because of the bus strike. # PREVENTED# The bus strike ______________ to school.
prevented us (from) | going/getting
39 On hearing the fire alarm, you must leave the building as quickly as possible. # SOON# You must leave the building ______________ the fire alarm.
as soon as | you hear
40 I am trying to study, so would you mind not making that noise? # RATHER# I am trying to study, so I ______________ make that noise.
"d/would rather | you didn't/did not"
41 Karen doesn't like to play the piano as much as Ido. # KEEN# Karen ______________ playing the piano than I amo
is/'s less keen | on
42 'How are you feeling afier your operation, Chloe?' the doctor asked. # SHE# The doctor asked ______________ after her operation.
Chloe how | she was feeling
1. I first met Louis ayear ago. # YEAR# It ______________ I first met Louis.
IS A YEAR SINCE
35 This time I didn't manage to win first prize. # SUCCEED# I didn't ______________ first prize this time.
succeed in | winning/getting/obtaining
36 Last night the theatre was almost empty. # ANYBODY# Last night ______________ the theatre.
there was hardly anybody | in/at
37 My elder sister likes to look afier small children. # CARE# My elder sister ______________ enjoys small children.
taking | care of
38 I've never heard such a silly story! # SILLIEST# That story is ______________ heard!
the silliest | I've / I have ever
39 Amy asked what my reaction to her decision was. # FELT# Amy asked ______________ her decision.
(me) how I felt about
40 The meeting probably won't last more than a few minutes. # UNLlKELY# The meeting ______________ on for more than a few minutes.
is unlikely | to go/carry
41 It's possible that Linda didn't take the early train. # MIGHT# Linda ______________ the early train.
might not | have taken/caught/got
42 It was raining heavily so I stayed at home. # IF# I would have gone out ______________ raining heavily.
if it hadn't/had not | been
1. You're still making too many mistakes in your written work, I'm afraid. # THERE# I'm afraid ______________ too many mistakes in your written work.
THERE ARE STlLL
35 They think the jewel thief is planning another crime. # THOUGHT# The jewel thief ______________ planning another crime.
is thought | to be
36 'Can you lend me some money, Marta?' asked David. # BORROW# David asked Marta ______________ some money.
if/whether I he could borrow
37 I saw the race begin because I arrived at the stadium on time. # MISSED# If I hadn't arrived at the stadium on time, I ______________ of the race.
would have/would've missed | the beginning/start
38 I think you ought to decide right now. # WERE# If I ______________ a decision right now.
were you I'd/ I would | make
39 The rider of the stolen motorbike was aman aged about 25. # RIDDEN# The stolen motorbike ______________ a man aged about 25.
was (being) ridden | by
40 I'm sorry I went out last night. # WISH# I ______________ out last night.
wish I had not/hadn't | gone
41 If you don't work harder, you won't pass the exam. # UNLESS# You won't pass the exam ______________ work.
unless you | do (some/much/lots) more
42 I really don't want to tidy my room right now. # FEEL# I really don't ______________ my room right now.
feel like | tidying
1 You should continue to study every day. # CARRY# You should ______________ every day.
CARRY ON studying
35 Please don't leave the building because we might need to speak to you again. # CASE# Please don't leave the building______________ to speak to you again.
in case | we need/have
36 'Don't be late again, Jamie,' said the teacher. # TOLD# The teacher ______________ late again.
told Jamie | not to be
37 A well-known director is making a film of Jennifer Shaw's latest novel. # BEING# A film of Jennifer Shaw's latest novel ______________ a well-known director.
is being made | by
38 We hadn't expected the weather to be so bad. # WORSE# The weather ______________ expected.
was worse | than we had/than we'd/than
39 I had trouble printing documents from the computer. # DIFFICULT# I ______________ documents from the computer.
found it difficult | to print
40 They don't let us use mobile phones in the library. # ALLOWED# In the library,______________ use mobile phones.
we're/we are not/aren't allowed | to
41 Is that film likely to be shown on TV? # CHANCE# Is there ______________ being shown on TV?
any/a chance | of that film
42 I'm afraid we don't have any bread left. # RUN# I'm afraid ______________ bread.
we've/we have | run out of
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
FIRST Part 2
FIRST part 3
FIRST part 1
USE OF ENGLISH 4
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
The Gospel of Matthew: Chapter 25
GAPPED SENTENCES - EXERCISE
FCE USE OF ENGLISH- PART 3- USE OF ENGLISH- OUP_T_…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
verb + to or ing
FIRST ALL PARTS
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Teen certification test
Chapter 17 Degenerative Changes in Aging
Typical Controlled substances type of medications