Christianity JHS History Part 1 and 2
Terms in this set (55)
St. Ignatius of Loyola was born in
The Society of Jesus was founded (officially approved by the Pope) in
The very first Jesuit in America was
Fr. Pedro Martinez, S.J.
The first Jesuit landed in what is now Florida in
What happened to this Jesuit?
He was killed by Indians after 2 weeks
What is the name of the French Jesuit explorer and missionary who discovered the Mississippi River?
Fr. Jacques Marquette, S.J. (Pere)
In what year did he discover the Mississippi River?
What was his name for the Mississippi River?
River of the Immaculate Conception
The French Jesuit is usually called
The French Jesuit who came to Louisiana with Iberville in 1700:
Fr. Paul DuRue
Describe the Jesuit's exploration:
Explored Mississippi River from its mouth northward
Iberville's younger brother, Bienville , founded New Orleans in
He gave property to the Jesuits that was called
The Jesuit Plantation
What was the location of this property?
Mississippi River to Broad Street ; Common Street to Felicity Street
The Jesuits lost this property when they were suppressed (disbanded) in the year
The Society of Jesus was restored (begun again) by Pope Pius VII in the year
Jesuits from Lyons, France returned to New Orleans in
The Jesuit superior of the new Louisiana mission was
Fr. Jean Baptiste Maisonnabe
This Jesuit purchased property in downtown New Orleans for a school at the corner of
Baronne Street and Common Street
This school was named
College of the Immaculate Conception
Father Maisonnabe died in the ______________ epidemic a year after founding the school
The second President-Rector of the school was
Fr. John Cambiaso, S.J.
This Jesuit purchased more land and designed and built in 1851 the Church of the _________________ on Baronne Street next to the school.
The Baronne Street church was constructed in ______________ architecture
The ___________________________________________ Memorial Chapel was built in the Jesuit residence of the College of the Immaculate Conception in the year 1901
Thomas J. Semmes
This chapel was rebuilt in the year ______ at the new Jesuit High School
In the year 1909 President ______________________________________ visited the old school
William Howard Taft
In the year 1911 the college section of the school moved uptown and was renamed
The University Chapel is also a parish church named
Holy Name of Jesus Church
The school year _______ - _______ was the last of the old school
1924 - 1925
Classes were held in a rented warehouse during the school year
1925 - 1926
The new Jesuit High School opens at Carrollton Avenue and Banks Street in
Carrollton Avenue became known as the
Avenue of Champions
In 1930 JHS played Baton Rouge in the first
night high school football game in New Orleans
In 1931 Professor Michael Cupero wrote
music for the "Alma Mater"
In 1931 Father Carmen Benanti, S.J., wrote
In 1933 Jesuit won its first
In 1938 Professor Cupero and Father Benanti teamed up again to write
the JHS Fight Song
In 1946 Jesuit won four State Championships:
Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Track and Field
These victories are called
"All the Tricks in '46"
In the year _______ JHS constructed a large new addition to the existing building
This new addition included the following new facilities:
a. Chapel of the North American Martyrs
d. library ( 2nd floor, above cafe )
e. band room
In the year 1957 a new ______ was constructed across Banks Street
In the year 1974 a new library, called the ___________________ was built
The bottom three floors of the ________________________________________________________ were renovated in 1982
Jesuit Residence Building
These newly renovated floors were used for _____________ and __________
offices and classrooms
Next to the gym the _____________ Center was built in 1986
Over a _____ - year period, all of the houses in the block behind JHS were bought and demolished.
This city block is now called ________________________________ to honor a JHS graduate who was a star baseball player
Will Clark Field
In the year 2002 new _____________ labs and ________________ labs were constructed next to and above the Resource Center
science labs and computer labs
In the year 2005, right before Hurricane Katrina, the ________________________________ was completed
The 12-million-dollar rebuilding project after the damage from Katrina was completed in
2007 - 2008
The original Jesuit Residence:
All 6 floors of the building
The present Jesuit Residence:
5th and 6th floors only
In 2011 the ________________ Stadium was constructed off Airline Highway.