5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Lord North 1770
- Powerful voices for Independence
- Declaration of Independence
- Stamp Act Congress
- Where did jefferson get his idea for the Declaration?
- a 9 delegates from 9 colonies create a more unified resistance and draft Declaration of Rights which states only colonial taxes can be put on them.
- b June 7th of 1776, Richard Henry Lee of VA proposed a resolution for Independence(3 prong resolution) and it was accepted.
- c New Prime Minister, repeals some of the townshend Acts but lets the Declaratory Act expire. Under him, govenors and Judgeswould now have their salaries paid by England and the colonists knew this meant now that the govs. and judges were in Englands pocket.
- d Patrick Henry was the delagate from VA to go to 1rst and 2nd continental congresses. "Give me liberty or give me death." Also there was Thomas Paine who was a Britiah immagrant who thought that the people of a free country should rule themselves. Wrote Common Sense which transformed an unorganized colonial rebellion into a unified moment by selling many copies so everyone knew what was going on.
- e He got it from John Locke, you only have a right to rule if you have the consent of the people. Some basic priciples of it was " the right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
5 Multiple choice questions
- Increased amount of smuggling in the colonies so Britian made it so that smuggling cases were sent to British courts. The Act mostly effected colonial merchants, rum distillers, and ship owners/builders.
- Meeting of 56 delagates to discuss their grievances about the Coercive and Quebec Acts and wether or not they're going to break from england, some do and some don't.
- Wrote to Lord North: "Blows must decide." Then orders General Thomas Gage to put done the rebellion and he marches to Concord to seize rebel military supplies.
- Sons of Liberty burned his house down. He was also a loyalist.
- Ajn act that was passed to save the British East India co., allowed E I co. freedom from paying import tax and this allowed them to charge the lowest possible prices while stillgetting money from the tax. People, though, protested the act by not buying the tea and were also afraid that other companies would get privledges as well. The Daughters of Liberty boycotted English Tea and also held sewing parties when wool was taxed.
5 True/False questions
The Boston Tea Party → Partrol soldier starts getting heckled by a colonists and soldier hits him, then all these people come out of bars and pubs and it becomes an angry mob, soldier calls for back up, but mob corners all the 9 soldiers there. One soldier is hit with a stick, Hugh Montgomery, and he fires first, the rest fire to after maybe hearing fire from the crowd.
Purpose, reactions. → placed an import tax on commonly used things such as tea, glass, lead, and dyes for paint.
Stamp Act of 1765 → Taxed foriegn sugar, mollases, and several other things
Why did the rebellion end? → Special warrants used to enforce the townshend Acts and were special because you din't need to state what your looking for.
Declaratory Act 1766 → Law requiring colonists to feed and house British soldiers