Create an account
(1) to cut into (2a) to carve figures, letters, or devices into; engrave (2b) to carve [as an inscription] into a surface
(1) stretched out with face on the ground in adoration or submission; also, lying flat (2) completely overcome and lacking vitality, will, or power to rise (3) trailing on the ground; procumbent
(1) governed by or conforming to the dictates of conscience; scrupulous (2) meticulous, careful
(1a) capable of being understood from something else though unexpressed; implied (1b) involved in the nature or essence of something though not revealed, expressed, or developed; potential (1c) of a mathematical function, defined by an expression in which the dependent variable and the one or more independent variables are not separated on opposite sides of an equation (2) being without doubt or reserve; unquestioning
(1) a small handful [as of hay or straw] (2a) a thin strip or fragment (2b) a thready streak (2c) something frail, slight, or fleeting (3) will-o'-the-wisp
(1) capable of being physically or emotionally wounded (2) open to attack or damage; assailable (3) liable to increased penalties but entitled to increased bonuses after winning a game in contract bridge
(1) a vaporous exhalation formerly believed to cause disease; also, a heavy vaporous emanation or atmosphere (2) an influence or atmosphere that tends to deplete or corrupt; also, an atmosphere that obscures; fog
(1) marsh, swamp (2a) a situation that traps, confuses, or impedes (2b) an overwhelming or confusing mass or mixture
(1) the remains of something broken down or destroyed (2) an accumulation of fragments of rock (3) something discarded; rubbish
(1) showing or calling for intelligence, aptitude, or discernment (2) marked by especial aptitude at discovering, inventing, or contriving (3) marked by originality, resourcefulness, and cleverness in conception or execution
(1) a mark indicating the height to which water has risen (2) a marking in paper resulting from differences in thickness usually produced by pressure of a projecting design in the mold or on a processing roll and visible when the paper is held up to the light; also, the design of or the metal pattern producing the marking
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together