1. something added to another thing but not essential to it.
2. a person associated with lesser status, rank, authority, etc., in some duty or service; assistant.
3. a person working at an institution, as a college or university, without having full or permanent status
4. Grammar. a modifying form, word, or phrase depending on some other form, word, or phrase, especially an element of clause structure with adverbial function.
5. joined or associated, especially in an auxiliary or subordinate relationship.
6. attached or belonging without full or permanent status
1. a decorative design or small illustration used on the title page of a book or at the beginning or end of a chapter.
2. an engraving, drawing, photograph, or the like that is shaded off gradually at the edges so as to leave no definite line at the border.
3. a decorative design representing branches, leaves, grapes, or the like, as in a manuscript.
4. any small, pleasing picture or view.
5. a small, graceful literary sketch.
verb (used with object)
6. Photography. to finish (a picture, photograph, etc.) in the manner of a vignette.
1. the range of operation, authority, control, concern, etc.
2. the range of vision, insight, or understanding.
that which is provided or enacted in a statute, as distinguished from the preamble.
the purpose or scope of a statute.
4. the full scope or compass of any document, statement, subject, book, etc.
1. to have a harshly unpleasant or perturbing effect on one's nerves, feelings, thoughts, etc.
2. to produce a harsh, grating sound; sound discordantly.
3. to vibrate audibly; rattle
4. to vibrate or shake.
5. to conflict, clash, or disagree.
6. to cause to rattle or shake.
7. to have a sudden and unpleasant effect upon (the feelings, nerves, etc.)
8. to cause to sound harshly or discordantly.
9. a jolt or shake; a vibrating movement, as from concussion.
10. a sudden unpleasant effect upon the mind or feelings; shock.
11. a harsh, grating sound.
12. a discordant sound or combination of sounds.
13. a quarrel or disagreement, especially a minor one.