Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 3: Operating Systems - Comp TIA Fundamentals Exam FC0-U51
Terms in this set (20)
1. Which of the following is not a function of an operating system?
A. Interface between the user and the machine
B. Coordinate software applications
C. Coordinate hardware components
D. Monitor system health
1. B. An operating system provides an environment for the software to function but does not coordinate between software applications.
2. Which of the following operating systems can you freely modify if you choose?
A. OS X
2. D. Linux is the only open-source OS discussed in this book.
3. Peter, a friend of yours, has a piece of software that was written for Mac OS X. Which of the following OSs will that software run on?
A. Mac OS X only
B. Mac OS X and Linux
C. Mac OS X and Chrome OS
D. Mac OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS
3. A. A piece of software written for an OS will work only on that type of OS.
4. Your friend Michel just purchased a Chromebook and wants to know where his files are stored. What do you tell him?
A. On the hard drive.
B. In the system RAM.
C. In the cloud.
D. Chromebooks do not store files.
4. C. Chromebooks often have very small hard drives, and they are not used for file storage. By default, all files are stored on Google's cloud.
5. You just deleted a shortcut to an important work presentation. What happened to the data in the presentation?
B. It's in the Recycle Bin/Trash.
C. It's deleted.
D. It's in the recovery partition.
5. A. When you delete a shortcut, nothing happens to the file the shortcut pointed to. The shortcut is just an easy way to access the file.
6. With which of the following file systems can you not rename a file when it's open?
6. D. With the FAT and NTFS file systems, you cannot rename a file, or change any of the metadata, while the file is open or in use.
7. You are going to purchase a new iPhone. Which operating system will be installed on it?
B. OS X
C. iPhone OS
D. Android E. iDontKnow
7. A. iPhones come with the iOS operating system.
8. From the hard drive's perspective, moving a file is analogous to which of the following actions?
A. Copy and paste
B. Cut and paste
C. Delete and paste
8. B. Moving a file is analogous to a cut and paste. It takes the file from one folder and places it in another.
9. Fred, a co-worker, heard about new software called Lollipop. Which operating system is he referring to?
B. OS X
D. Chrome OS
9. C. Android versions are currently named after different types of sweets. iOS versions don't have nicknames. OS X was named afte
10. On which OS would you use the Ctrl+Window Switcher key to create a screen capture?
C. Mac OS X
D. Chrome OS
10. D. Chrome OS uses the Windows Switcher key to create a screen capture. .
11. Linux is defined as a , which is also the core of an operating system.
11. C. Linux is a kernel, which is the core of an OS. Linux packages are put together as distributions and marketed as such.
12. What are the utilities in an OS called that enable programs such as a screen reader?
A. Accessibility options
B. Reading options
C. User options
D. User account settings
12. A. Accessibility options allow you to configure a computer to be easier for people with disabilities to use.
13. You just copied a file from the Work directory to the Projects directory on your Windows PC. What happened to the file on the hard drive?
B. The file was removed from the Work directory and placed in the Projects directory.
C. The file was not moved, but a new pointer record was created associating the file with the Projects directory.
D. The file was copied to a new location on the hard drive and was associated with the Projects directory.
13. D. When you copy a file, the original file remains intact, and a new version of that file is created elsewhere on the hard drive. The new version is associated with the new folder.
14. How many subdirectories are you allowed to create within a single directory in an OS?
A. It depends on the OS
14. A. The answer is it depends on the OS. For example, ext3 allows for 32,000 subdirectories, and ext4 allows for 64,000 subdirectories.
15. The combination of Linux-based files that gets released as a product is called what?
15. A. A Linux-based OS is called a distribution, which is a combination of the kernel, shell, and utilities needed for a fully functional OS.
16. Which of the following file systems does not have built-in security?
16. C. File Allocation Table (FAT) does not have built-in security. All of the other OSs listed do.
17. You need to prepare a brand-new replacement hard drive for storage. What is the first step needed to get it ready?
A. Format the drive
B. Install an OS
C. Install a file system
D. Create a partition
17. D. Before the hard drive can be used for file storage, it needs at least one partition. Once it's partitioned, you can format the drive, which will install a file system.
18. Which of the following is not a way to open the Start menu on a Windows-based computer?
C. Click the Start button
D. Press the Start key on the keyboard
18. A. Ctrl+S is usually a hot key to save a file within Word or Excel. It does not open the Start menu.
19. Which of the following would not be considered metadata for a spreadsheet file?
A. Read-only attribute
B. Calculations inside the file
C. Name of the file
D. File size
19. B. Any data or information inside a file is part of the file itself, not the metadata for the file. Metadata is information about the file, such as its name, size, creator, and security.
20. Which of the following OSs uses the NT kernel?
A. Windows 7
B. Windows 3.11
C. Mac OS
20. A. Windows 7 uses the Windows NT kernel. Windows 3.11 was created before the NT kernel was. Mac OS X and Chrome OS do not use the NT kernel.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Chapter 5: Networking Technologies and Wireless Ro…
Chapter 4: Software Applications - Comp TIA Fundam…
Chapter 10: Buying and Configuring a Workstation -…
Chapter 11: Computer Support and Backups - CompTIA…
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
IT Fundamentals: Chapter 3 Review Questions
Gabe's Computer Exam
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 12: Environmental and Safety Concepts - Co…
Chapter 9: Security Best Practices Comp - TIA IT F…