Chapter 4: Software Applications - Comp TIA Fundamentals Exam FC0-U51
Terms in this set (20)
1. Which of the following file formats were designed to replace .mp3? (Choose two.)
1. C, D. The .aac and .m4a file formats are designed to replace .mp3. There is no .mp4 format, and .flac is a competing standard.
2. Rose opens her software application and gets a message stating that she has only 16 more uses of the product available. Given this scenario, what is her best course of action in order to use it more than 16 additional times?
A. Activate the software.
B. Register the software.
C. Uninstall and reinstall the software.
D. Not close the application any more.
2. A. If a software product is giving you a limited number of uses, you must activate that software with the manufacturer. This typically requires you to have a software license and a product key.
3. Which of the following file formats indicates a program that can be run on a Macintosh computer?
3. C. Macs use .app files as applications.
4. You have just purchased licensed software and want to install it. Which of the following are you required to enter to install this software?
A. Your name and contact information
B. The product key
C. The serial number of your processor
D. None of the above
4. B. The product key will be required to install or use any licensed software product. The manufacturer will include this on the installation media or email it to you.
5. Which file format is used on optical media, such as CD-ROMs?
5. A. The .iso format is used on optical media, such as CD-ROMs.
6. John purchases a single-user software license for an application and installs it on his desktop. Then he installs it on his laptop computer. In this scenario, which of the following statements is true?
A. John can use the application on both computers at the same time.
B. John can use the application on both computers but only one at a time.
C. John can use the application on only one of the computers.
D. John can share the application with his friends to install on their computers.
6. C. Single-user software licenses typically state that the software can be used on only one computer. John should uninstall it from the second computer unless he purchases a second license.
7. Which of the following image formats produces the best quality images?
7. A. The .tiff format produces the best quality images, along with .png.
8. Word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software are examples of what?
A. Productivity software
B. Collaboration software
C. Utility software
D. Operating system add-ins
8. A. Word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software are three examples of productivity software. Other types are email, PDF viewers, desktop publishing, personal information manager, and remote desktop software.
9. Mac OS X disk image files have what extension?
9. C. Mac OS X disk image files have a .dmg extension.
10. What software is designed to let the OS talk to hardware?
10. A. Drivers are designed to let the OS talk to hardware. Each piece of hardware must have a driver to work with the operating system.
11. Which one of the following compression file extensions doesn't actually use compression?
11. B. The .tar (tape archive) file extension is listed among the compression file formats, but it doesn't actually use compression. All of the others d
12. When thinking of software compatibility, which two factors matter most? (Choose two.)
A. If the software will work with other software on the computer
B. If the software will work with the operating system
C. If the minimum hardware requirements are met
D. If the software comes with automatic updates
12. B, C. The two most important things to consider are if the software was written to work with that operating system and if the computer has enough hardware to run the application.
13. You have just plugged in a new HP printer to your Mac. You can't find a printer driver. What should you do given the circumstances?
A. Use the default HP printer driver for Mac OS X.
B. Visit Apple's website to download the printer driver.
C. Visit HP's website to download the printer driver.
D. Run Software Update to automatically install the printer driver.
13. C. If you're ever missing a driver, go to the manufacturer's website to download it, and then install it.
14. Susan wants to play the games that come with Windows on her computer, but they are not on the Start menu. What should she do in this scenario?
A. Install the games from Control Panel.
B. Install the games from Windows Update.
C. Install the games from System Update.
D. Delete and reinstall Windows.
14. A. Susan can go into the Software app in Control Panel to install or remove OS features, such as games.
15. Which of the following file extensions is a worksheet created in a Microsoft spreadsheet application likely to have?
15. D. Microsoft Excel will use the .xls or .xlsx file extension. (It uses others too, but not any of the other options listed.)
16. You just installed an antivirus program on your laptop computer. Given a scenario in which you want to maintain proper levels of security, how often should you update the software?
A. At least once a week
B. At least once a month
C. At least once a year
D. Only when a new virus is discovered
16. A. For security software such as antivirus protection, you should update the definition file at least once per week. Better yet, set the software to update automatically.
17. Which file extension is used for files that execute multiple commands from within a Windows command prompt?
17. B. Batch files, or those with a .bat extension, are used to execute multiple commands at the same time from the Windows command prompt.
18. Your boss calls you on the phone while he is trying to install software. It is telling him that he needs a product key. Where should you tell him to look for it? (Choose two.)
A. On the package the installation CD came in
B. In an email from the manufacturer
C. On the screen in the Options menu
D. In Windows Update
18. A, B. Software product keys are typically included on the package in which the installation CD-ROM was shipped. If the software was downloaded, then the manufacturer usually sends the software key via email.
19. A .ppt file is what type of file?
19. D. Microsoft PowerPoint, which creates presentations, uses the .ppt and .pptx extensions.
20. Michael receives an email from an unknown user with a file attachment in it that has an .exe extension. What should Michael do in this situation?
A. Delete the email.
B. Double-click the file to open it.
C. Save the file to his desktop and then open it.
D. Right-click the file to identify its product key, and then install it.
20. A. If you receive emails with executable files from unknown sources, delete them. Some companies require you to report those types of emails to security or the IT department. In any case, do not open that attachment!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Test Preparation TOEIC, SAT, TOEFL
IT FUN: CH 4
A+ 220-902 Practice Test B
Study Guide - Intro To Operating Systems - Midterm Exam
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 12: Environmental and Safety Concepts - CompTIA IT Fundamentals Study Guide: Exam FC0-U51
Chapter 11: Computer Support and Backups - CompTIA IT Fundamentals Study Guide: Exam FC0-U51
Chapter 10: Buying and Configuring a Workstation - CompTIA IT Fundamentals Study Guide: Exam FC0-U51
Chapter 9: Security Best Practices Comp - TIA IT Fundamentals Study Guide: Exam FC0-U51
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Chapter 2: Peripherals and Connectors - Comp TIA Fundamentals Exam FC0-U51
Chapter 3: Operating Systems - Comp TIA Fundamentals Exam FC0-U51
Chapter 5: Networking Technologies and Wireless Routers - Comp TIA Fundamentals Exam FC0-U51
Chapter 1: Core Hardware Components - Comp TIA Fundamentals Exam FC0-U51