Upgrade to remove ads
Word Within the Word Lesson #17
Terms in this set (35)
1. What bird bears the scientific name Mimus polyglottos?
The mockingbird mimes the tongues (glott) of many (poly) other birds.
2. Is a big paycheck incommensurate with a big job?
No, it is commensurate. Since the check and the job are both big, they can be measured (mens) together (co). One is not wildly out of scale with the other.
3. Will diaphanous draperies give your home privacy?
No, diaphanous draperies allow what is on the other side to appear (phan) through (dia).
4. When a comet is at perihelion, does it have a bright tail?
Yes, a comet near (peri) the sun (helio) has a bright tail.
5. Is there a disparity of income between executives and laborers?
Yes, the two levels of income are not (dis) equal (par).
6. Are auriferous rocks good material for road gravel?
No, auriferous rocks are too valuable to be used for road gravel because they bear (fer) gold (aur).
7. Is an oviduct a tube for an egg to move through?
Yes, the oviduct is a tube that leads (duct) the egg (ovi).
8. Is retirement a time of peace and acrimony?
One hopes not. Acrimony is a condition (mony) of sharpness (acr).
9. Do ambitious people hope for professional demotion?
No, demotion is being moved (mot) down (de) in the company.
10. Is histology the study of plant and animal tissues?
Yes, histology is the study (logy) of tissue (histo).
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Latin Vocab 3
Accusative Latin Endings
Latin Week 17-19 Study Guide-5th Grade
Latin "to be" (sum)
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
History 37B Exam 2
Classics 37B Quiz 3
Classics 37B Quiz 2
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Word Within the Word List 18
Word Within the Word List 20
Unit 17 Analogies