History of Atom
Terms in this set (18)
smallest part of an element that keeps the element's properties
Greek philosopher that believed atoms were the smallest piece of matter
English chemist who developed the Atomic Theory
philosopher that stated all matter is composed of 4 elements - air, earth, water, and matter
proposed by John Dalton
1. All elements are composed of atoms that are indivisible and indestructible (not true because protons, neutrons and electrons were discovered)
2. Atoms of the same element are exactly alike (not true because of isotopes)
3. Atoms of different elements are different.
4. Compounds are formed by the joining of atoms of 2 or more elements.
- scientist who discovered the electron (negatively charged subatomic particle) using a cathode ray tube
- developed plum pudding model
Plum Pudding model
-a model of the atom created by JJ Thomson
- consists of electrons on the surface of a positively charged sphere
Scientist who devised the oil drop experiment which allowed the charge on the electrons to be calculated
discovered the nucleus by shooting alpha particles through a thin piece of gold foil
cathode tube experiment
experiment done by JJ Thomson in which he discovered the electron
Gold foil experiment
an experiment performed by Rutherford that provided evidence that atoms are mostly empty space and have a dense, positive nucleus
scientist proposed a model of atom based on energy levels (Each energy level has a different amount of energy; the farther away an electron is from the nucleus, the more energy it has)
discovered the neutron
determined the number of protons in atoms using x-ray diffraction
- model of atom where electrons move in definite paths (orbits) around the nucleus.
Modern Atomic Model
model proposed by Schrondinger that says there is 90% probability of finding an electron in a certain area around the nucleus.
released by electrons as they return to the ground state (lower energy level) from their excited state (higher energy level)
shows a dense nucleus with protons surrounding the center
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
MCAT General Chemistry | Kaplan Guide
Atomic Model Scientists
Models of the Atom - Complete
Development of Atomic Theory- "Dead Guys"
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Oceanography Period 2
Period 1 Oceanography
The Electromagnetic Spectrum, Fraunhofer lines, Temperature
Earths Spheres and Climate Change 1
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
History of the Atom
The Atom (Atomic History, Atoms)