Get ahead with a $300 test prep scholarship
| Enter to win by Tuesday 9/24
Chapter 10: Buying and Configuring a Workstation - CompTIA IT Fundamentals Study Guide: Exam FC0-U51
Terms in this set (20)
1. You have been asked to purchase a computer for a client. What is the first question you should ask to determine the right computer to buy?
A. What it will be used for
B. What operating system they want
C. What platform they want
D. What their budget is
The first thing to determine is what the computer will be used for. Then, you can move on to determine what OS is needed, what type of system they should get, and the budget.
2. You are setting up a workstation and have configured the screen resolution. After choosing a resolution, the image on the screen appears distorted. What is the most likely cause of the problem?
A. The monitor is failing.
B. The resolution is set too high for the monitor.
C. The resolution is set too low for the monitor.
D. The resolution is at the wrong aspect ratio.
If the image is distorted, it's most likely due to an aspect ratio that is not correct for the monitor. For example, if you selected a standard resolution for a widescreen monitor, the image would be distorted.
3. Which of the following operating systems tends to be associated with workstations that are more expensive than their counterparts?
D. OS X
Macs tend to be a little more expensive than comparable PC counterparts; therefore the correct answer is OS X.
4. You have been asked to set up a workstation for a client. You have performed all of the steps up to and including configuring and verifying the Internet connection. What should you do next?
A. Install security software.
B. Create additional user accounts.
C. Run software and security updates.
D. Install additional software.
After setting up and verifying the Internet connection, the next step is to install additional software (if applicable). If the user does not have any additional software to install, then proceed to updating security and other software.
5. When choosing a laptop for a client's use, which of the following items should be primary criteria? (Choose two.)
B. CPU speed
C. Battery life
D. If it has a car adapter.
5. A, C.
The weight, battery life, and screen size are all important factors that are more relevant to laptops than they are to desktops. Having a car adapter is nice, but it is an accessory that can be purchased separately.
6. You are configuring a workstation and are setting the video resolution. After selecting the resolution, the screen goes black. What should you do?
A. Wait 15 seconds for the image to reappear.
B. Turn off the monitor and turn it back on.
C. Reboot the workstation.
D. Restart the operating system setup wizard.
You probably chose a resolution that is not supported by the monitor, and it can't display it. If you wait for 15 seconds, the system will revert to the previous setting, which you should be able to see. Then choose a different resolution.
7. When choosing a tablet computer, which of the following operating systems are most likely to come preinstalled? (Choose two.)
A. OS X
7. B, D.
Android and iOS dominate the mobile market, including smartphones and tablet computers.
8. What aspect ratio do widescreen computer monitors typically use by default?
Widescreen monitors use 16:10 aspect ratios. High definition televisions use 16:9, and standard VGA monitors use 4:3.
9. Your friend Joe has decided that he needs a powerful gaming computer with the best technology. Which of the following is the best reason that Joe might consider building his own?
A. He can choose his own operating system.
B. There's no additional software to uninstall.
C. He gets free technical support.
D. He can choose his hardware components.
The biggest advantage for Joe is that he can choose his own hardware. He can get the processor, memory, video card, and other hardware he wants without being constrained by preconfigured choices from manufacturers. He will have to buy his own OS, but this is not a major factor. Tech support will be free because he will provide it himself!
10. When configuring a new workstation with Windows 8, you choose the wrong localization setting for this particular user. What is the easiest way to fix this setting?
A. Delete and reinstall Windows 8.
B. Reboot the computer and rerun the OS setup wizard.
C. Change the option in Control Panel.
D. Use the localization rollback option in the setup wizard configuration utility.
Localization settings are chosen during the initial setup wizard but can easily be changed in Windows Control Panel.
11. Your friend Gloria is a graphic designer and wants your help in selecting a new workstation. Which of the following are likely going to be advanced hardware needs for her line of work? (Choose two.)
B. Hard drive
D. Sound card
11. A, C.
Graphic design workstations should have better processors, memory, and video systems than standard workstations.
12. You are installing a new computer and have just created additional user accounts. What is the next step you should perform?
A. Update security and software.
B. Configure peripherals.
C. Configure and verify Internet connection.
D. Perform cable management tasks.
The last step in the workstation setup process is to perform basic cable management tasks, such as moving them out of the way and securing them.
13. You are building a home theater system. Which components will likely need to be upgraded over a standard workstation?
D. Network card
Home theater systems need upgraded audio and video systems. Therefore, an upgraded GPU (video card) will help the system deliver the quality that's expected.
14. You are configuring a new workstation for an engineer who has a special printer he needs attached to his system. When should you perform this task?
A. When plugging in all of the cables
B. Before installing security software
C. After installing security software D. After configuring and verifying the Internet connection
The best time to install and configure peripherals is after installing the security software.
15. Your friend Daphne is purchasing a new workstation to support her small but growing video production business. What components should she upgrade over a standard workstation? (Choose two.)
15. C, D.
Audio/video editing workstations need superior audio and video performance. An enhanced video card with its own GPU is needed. The workstation will also need a large amount of hard drive space for storage of large files.
16. You are configuring a new workstation for a user. After configuring the computer to have an Internet connection, what should you do next?
A. Install additional software (if applicable).
B. Run software and security updates.
C. Create other user accounts (if applicable).
D. Verify the Internet connection.
After configuring the Internet connection, verify that it works! The next step in the process after configuring and verifying the Internet connection is to install additional software, if applicable.
17. You recently purchased a workstation and brought it home. After unpacking it, what is the first step you should perform to set it up?
A. Power on the computer.
B. Perform computer registration.
C. Plug in the cables.
D. Configure the Internet connection.
The first step in setting up a workstation is to plug in the cables.
18. A friend of yours bought a computer from a major manufacturer. On it is bundled software that she does not want. When is the appropriate time during the setup process to uninstall this software?
A. After installing security software
B. After configuring peripherals
C. During the initial operating system setup wizard
D. After configuring and verifying the Internet connection
Per the exam objectives, uninstalling unneeded software should occur after plugging in cables, powering on the computer, setting up the OS, installing security software, and configuring peripherals.
19. You are setting up five workstations for a small office. After completing the OS configuration process, what is the next step to take?
A. Install security software.
B. Configure peripherals.
C. Create user accounts.
D. Perform cable management.
After completing the OS setup wizard, the next step is to install security software. Remember that the security software is the second most important piece of software on the computer, so it should be taken care of immediately after the OS setup.
20. After purchasing a new Windows laptop, you are beginning to configure it. You don't want to receive reminders to purchase bundled software. What is the recommended way to remove software that you don't want?
A. Remove it during the initial OS setup wizard.
B. Delete the icons on the desktop.
C. Use Control Panel.
D. Delete and reinstall Windows from the factory backup image.
Applications can't be deleted during the initial OS setup wizard. Deleting the icons does not properly uninstall programs, and you might still get reminders. Control Panel is the best option to remove software applications.