5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Status provides the guidelines for how we are to act and feel.
- personal space
- Erving Goffman
- background assumptions
- how we want others to perceive us
- a Hilda is studying at the library. She has placed her coat on the chair next to her and has spread books in front of the other chairs. Hilda is trying to extend her ________ so others do not invade it.
- b The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________.
- c In ethnomethodology, the ideas we take for granted that underlie our behavior and that we violate at our risk are called ________.
- d Which statement regarding status is MOST accurate?
- e In the context of dramaturgy, impression management deals with ____________.
5 Multiple choice questions
- T or F: As a child's experiences with agents of socialization broadens, the influence of the family increases.
- The research in the early 1960s using rhesus monkeys to demonstrate the importance of intimate physical contact in the rearing of animals was conducted by ________.
- T or F: In Piaget's model for children's development of reasoning skills, the term "reasoning skills" is synonymous with the term "operational" as it is used in the theory.
- Believing that all football players are academically challenged, that all African Americans are great athletes, and that all women can cook well are examples of ________.
- Of the following traits and abilities, which one would George Herbert Mead consider MOST essential for an individual to be a full-fledged member of society?
5 True/False questions
We occupy a status, we play a role → Leo, Ryan, and Matthew regularly interact with one another and share similar values, norms, and expectations. In view of this, which concept MOST applies to their relationship?
True → T or F: When Professor Jones is before his class lecturing, he has assumed the front stage, based on the terminology used in dramaturgy.
intimate early social interaction → John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
True → T or F: The sociological significance of social structure is that it guides our behavior.
organic solidarity → According to Durkheim, when a society increases in size, its division of labor becomes more specialized. People begin to depend upon one another and become interdependent. This form of social cohesion was a concept that he termed ________.