5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- We occupy a status, we play a role
- suspend Frank's driving privileges for a month and discuss with Frank the dangers of drinking and driving
- symbolic interactionism
- Stereotypes are the assumptions we make that can become self-fulfilling prophecies.
- a Frank is the son of a middle-class family. He took the family car without permission last night, returning home at 3 AM with the smell of alcohol on his breath. It is most likely, based on the research of Kohn, that the next day Frank's parents will ________.
- b Mead describes the active, creative, and spontaneous part of the self as the ________.
- c Which sociological perspective is most closely linked to microsociology?
- d Which of the following statements BEST describes how stereotypes affect our interaction with others when we first meet?
- e The difference between status and role is that ________.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________
- Believing that all football players are academically challenged, that all African Americans are great athletes, and that all women can cook well are examples of ________.
- The research in the early 1960s using rhesus monkeys to demonstrate the importance of intimate physical contact in the rearing of animals was conducted by ________.
- John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
- Leo, Ryan, and Matthew regularly interact with one another and share similar values, norms, and expectations. In view of this, which concept MOST applies to their relationship?
5 True/False questions
Their location in the social structure has created the difference between Milo's and Jim's reactions. → Of the following traits and abilities, which one would George Herbert Mead consider MOST essential for an individual to be a full-fledged member of society?
These are examples of her ascribed status → Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?
False → T or F: In Piaget's model for children's development of reasoning skills, the term "reasoning skills" is synonymous with the term "operational" as it is used in the theory.
True → T or F: In Piaget's model for children's development of reasoning skills, the term "reasoning skills" is synonymous with the term "operational" as it is used in the theory.
True → Mead describes the active, creative, and spontaneous part of the self as the ________.