5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Status provides the guidelines for how we are to act and feel.
- The ability to take the role of another
- We occupy a status, we play a role
- Social structure
- a The difference between status and role is that ________.
- b Of the following traits and abilities, which one would George Herbert Mead consider MOST essential for an individual to be a full-fledged member of society?
- c An approach to social interaction in which social life is analyzed in terms of the stage is called ________.
- d Which statement regarding status is MOST accurate?
- e The typical patterns of a group, such as its usual relationships between men and women or students and teachers, are referred to as ________.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________
- Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?
- According to Durkheim, when a society increases in size, its division of labor becomes more specialized. People begin to depend upon one another and become interdependent. This form of social cohesion was a concept that he termed ________.
- What discovery did Skeels and Dye make when they administered intelligence tests to a sample of orphans cared for by trained professionals in a "good" orphanage and to a second sample of orphans raised by residents of an institution for mentally retarded women?
- True or False Without language there can be no culture, no shared way of life.
5 True/False questions
intimate early social interaction → John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
Their location in the social structure has created the difference between Milo's and Jim's reactions. → Milo, a highly successful attorney, just received a $200 ticket for speeding. Jim, an unemployed father of six, received a $50 fine for parking in a restricted area. Milo considers his $200 ticket an inconvenience, but Jim sees his $50 fine as a financial disaster. Why do Milo and Jim feel so differently about their fines, even though Milo's is four times greater than Jim's?
True → Mead describes the active, creative, and spontaneous part of the self as the ________.
Harry and Margaret Harlow → Leo, Ryan, and Matthew regularly interact with one another and share similar values, norms, and expectations. In view of this, which concept MOST applies to their relationship?
True → T or F:Roles are like fences - they allow a certain amount of freedom but that freedom does not go very far.