5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The orphans raised by the mentally impaired scored an average of 28 points higher than those raised by trained professionals.
- Their location in the social structure has created the difference between Milo's and Jim's reactions.
- Status provides the guidelines for how we are to act and feel.
- symbolic interactionism
- how we want others to perceive us
- a Which statement regarding status is MOST accurate?
- b Which sociological perspective is most closely linked to microsociology?
- c Milo, a highly successful attorney, just received a $200 ticket for speeding. Jim, an unemployed father of six, received a $50 fine for parking in a restricted area. Milo considers his $200 ticket an inconvenience, but Jim sees his $50 fine as a financial disaster. Why do Milo and Jim feel so differently about their fines, even though Milo's is four times greater than Jim's?
- d In the context of dramaturgy, impression management deals with ____________.
- e What discovery did Skeels and Dye make when they administered intelligence tests to a sample of orphans cared for by trained professionals in a "good" orphanage and to a second sample of orphans raised by residents of an institution for mentally retarded women?
5 Multiple choice questions
- Mead describes the active, creative, and spontaneous part of the self as the ________.
- Based on studies of isolated and institutionalized children, what is the key variable in acquiring the basic "human" traits we take for granted?
- T or F: In Piaget's model for children's development of reasoning skills, the term "reasoning skills" is synonymous with the term "operational" as it is used in the theory.
- John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
- Of the following traits and abilities, which one would George Herbert Mead consider MOST essential for an individual to be a full-fledged member of society?
5 True/False questions
Erving Goffman → Hilda is studying at the library. She has placed her coat on the chair next to her and has spread books in front of the other chairs. Hilda is trying to extend her ________ so others do not invade it.
Erving Goffman → The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________.
organic solidarity → The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________
We occupy a status, we play a role → The difference between status and role is that ________.
True → Mead describes the active, creative, and spontaneous part of the self as the ________.