5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- They are a group
- The ability to take the role of another
- The orphans raised by the mentally impaired scored an average of 28 points higher than those raised by trained professionals.
- a Leo, Ryan, and Matthew regularly interact with one another and share similar values, norms, and expectations. In view of this, which concept MOST applies to their relationship?
- b True or False Without language there can be no culture, no shared way of life.
- c Believing that all football players are academically challenged, that all African Americans are great athletes, and that all women can cook well are examples of ________.
- d Of the following traits and abilities, which one would George Herbert Mead consider MOST essential for an individual to be a full-fledged member of society?
- e What discovery did Skeels and Dye make when they administered intelligence tests to a sample of orphans cared for by trained professionals in a "good" orphanage and to a second sample of orphans raised by residents of an institution for mentally retarded women?
5 Multiple choice questions
- John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
- Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?
- T or F: As a child's experiences with agents of socialization broadens, the influence of the family increases.
- Hilda is studying at the library. She has placed her coat on the chair next to her and has spread books in front of the other chairs. Hilda is trying to extend her ________ so others do not invade it.
- Which sociological perspective is most closely linked to microsociology?
5 True/False questions
Harry and Margaret Harlow → The research in the early 1960s using rhesus monkeys to demonstrate the importance of intimate physical contact in the rearing of animals was conducted by ________.
intimate early social interaction → John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
True → T or F: The sociological significance of social structure is that it guides our behavior.
True → Mead describes the active, creative, and spontaneous part of the self as the ________.
Social structure → The typical patterns of a group, such as its usual relationships between men and women or students and teachers, are referred to as ________.