5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The ability to take the role of another
- Erving Goffman
- We occupy a status, we play a role
- personal space
- organic solidarity
- a The difference between status and role is that ________.
- b Hilda is studying at the library. She has placed her coat on the chair next to her and has spread books in front of the other chairs. Hilda is trying to extend her ________ so others do not invade it.
- c Of the following traits and abilities, which one would George Herbert Mead consider MOST essential for an individual to be a full-fledged member of society?
- d According to Durkheim, when a society increases in size, its division of labor becomes more specialized. People begin to depend upon one another and become interdependent. This form of social cohesion was a concept that he termed ________.
- e The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________
5 Multiple choice questions
- John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
- In ethnomethodology, the ideas we take for granted that underlie our behavior and that we violate at our risk are called ________.
- Which sociological perspective is most closely linked to microsociology?
- Believing that all football players are academically challenged, that all African Americans are great athletes, and that all women can cook well are examples of ________.
- Milo, a highly successful attorney, just received a $200 ticket for speeding. Jim, an unemployed father of six, received a $50 fine for parking in a restricted area. Milo considers his $200 ticket an inconvenience, but Jim sees his $50 fine as a financial disaster. Why do Milo and Jim feel so differently about their fines, even though Milo's is four times greater than Jim's?
5 True/False questions
True → Mead describes the active, creative, and spontaneous part of the self as the ________.
The orphans raised by the mentally impaired scored an average of 28 points higher than those raised by trained professionals. → What discovery did Skeels and Dye make when they administered intelligence tests to a sample of orphans cared for by trained professionals in a "good" orphanage and to a second sample of orphans raised by residents of an institution for mentally retarded women?
These are examples of her ascribed status → Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?
True → T or F: In Piaget's model for children's development of reasoning skills, the term "reasoning skills" is synonymous with the term "operational" as it is used in the theory.
intimate early social interaction → John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.