5 major functions of microtubules
1. Form the primary components of the cytoskeleton, giving the cell strength and rigidity and anchoring the position of major organelles
2. The dis-assembly of microtubules provides a mechanism for changing the shape of the cell
3. Can move vesicles or other organelles within the cell, using proteins called molecular motors.
4. During cell division, microtubules form the spindle apparatus, which distributes duplicated chromosomes to opposite ends of the dividing cell.
5. Form structural components of organelles, such as centrioles and cilia.