-draft year: 1980 -amendment year: 1986 -national -enforced by EPA - function: Created in response to the love canal incident in Buffalo, NY. Creates ability for authority to respond to release of hazardous substances that endanger health/environment. As well, trust fund created to aid clean up.
5. Convention of Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol
-draft year: 1997 -amendment year: 2012 -international -enforced by IEA -function: assigned mandatory emission limitations—lowering the amount of fossil fuels used and green house gases in the atmosphere.
Convention of Ozone Depletion and the Montreal Protocol
-draft year: 1989 -amendment years: 1990, 1992, 1997, 1999 -international -enforced by the Ministry for Economic Development -function: protect the ozone layer by outlawing substances that are believed to destroy it.
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES):
draft year: 1973 - international - enforced by the IUCN - function: create a system of laws to control the international trade of endangered
8. Law of the Sea Convention (LOSC):
- draft year: 1983 - international - enforced by ICJ and NOAA - function: explains the rights and responsibilities of nations who use the worlds oceans (guidelines for trade and use of the environment)
Declaration of the Conference on the Human Environment (Stockholm Declaration)
- draft year: 1972 - international - enforced by EPA - function: explains how man is in charge of the environment, and therefore the ways in which they must take care of it
Endangered Species Act
- draft year: 1973 - international - enforced by FWS - function: protects plants & animals & their habitats so they have the resources needed to survive on their own
Energy Policy Act
- draft year: 1992 - national - enforced by EPA -function: energy must be 1) more efficient 2) conserved. Natural gas usage monitored—can't release too much gas
Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA)
- draft year: 1938, 1954, 1958 - international - enforced by FDA - function: make sure food/drug/cosmetics are safe before advertised or distributed to the public.
Federal Insecticide, Fungide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA):
- draft year: 1947 - amendment years: 1972, 1988, 1996 - national - enforced by EPA -function: control pesticide distribution and use
Food Quality Protection Act of 1996 (FQPA)
- draft year: 1996 - international - enforced by APA -function: -sets tough standard for amount of pesticide that can be used in food and the type of ingredients used---keeps food safe for people
-draft year: 1900 - amendment year: 2000 - national - enforced by Secretary of the Interior - function: protects wildlife (prohibits transport of illegally captured animals over state lines)
Migratory Bird Hunting Stamp Act
- draft year: 1934 - national - enforced by FDR - function: -prevents over hunting animals and preserves wetlands
National Wildlife Refuge System Act
- draft year: 1966 -national -function: guidelines for managing wild life refuges and conservation
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- draft year: 1969 - national - enforced by EPA -function: requires government agencies to consider environmental factors when making important decisions
Rio Earth Summit
- draft year: 1992 - amendment years: 1994, 1995, 1996 - international - enforced by the UN - function: keeping the environment clean for future generations
Soil Conservation Act (SCA)
- draft year: 1977 - national - enforced by SCS—what is created by act - function: establishing the soil conservation service (deals with soil erosion problems and soil surveys)
Solid Waste Disposal Act:
- draft year: 1965 - amendment year: 1976 - national - enforced by EPA - function: meant to address the issue of disposable solid waste in the US
Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act:
- draft year: 1977 - amendment years: 1978, 1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1987 - national - enforced by FWS - function: regulating surface coal mining (setting standards so it wont harm wildlife)
Taylor Grazing Act
- draft year: 1934 - national - enforced by the US Department of Interior Bureau of land Management -function: prevents overgrazing and regulates grazing on federal public land
The Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA)
- draft year: 1986 - national - enforced by EPA - function: allowed planning and notification of chemical emergencies
The Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA):
- draft year: 1970 - national - enforced by US Department of Labor - Ensures safe working environments for employees
The Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (OPA):
- draft year: 1990 - international - enforced by the EPA - function: to improve the nations ability to prevent and respond to oil spills (in response to Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska).
The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCDA):
- draft year: 1976 - amendment year: 1984 - international - enforced by EPA - function: -solid waste program
The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)
- draft year: 1974 - amendment years: 1984, 1996 - international - enforced by EPA - function: To set standards for drinking water and ensure its quality.
Toxic Substance Control Act
- draft year: 1976 - international - enforced by the EPA - function: regulates the introduction of new or already existing chemicals
U.S Clean Water Act
- draft year: 1977 - amendment years: 1981, 1987 -international - enforced by the EPA - function: to establish pollution control programs
Wild and Scenic Rivers Act
- draft year: 1968 - national - function: allows government to preserve selected scenic rivers for recreational use.
- draft year: 1964 - national - function: authorizes the government to protect undeveloped public land (goal to keep wild life land as natural as possible)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Series 7 Top-Off Exam Preparation | Knopman Marks Guide