Create an account
Minor Juvenile Delinquency System
Created because kids are unique & don't understand the consequences for their actions
"parent of the country", parental role awarded to court to do whatever was necessary to help kid.
Problems with Official Statistics
1. Dark Figure data- data is missing from someone not reporting it
2. 80% of crimes weren't solved
3. Missing Information on Criminal (socioeconomic class, background)
4. Police Bias- racism, crime could be minor for area
Self Report Data
Data collected directly from participants, typically by means of interviews or questionnaires.
Benefits of Self Report Data
1. more detailed personal information on the subject
2. attitude when committing the crimes
3. personality traits, education, family background
Problems with Self-Report Data
1. questions made before study were just assumptions of the researcher
a. questions could lead a response
b. some may be objective or not
2. researcher bias
3. so many researchers ask different questions and compile them together
4. honesty of people taking survey
5. views are exaggerated
Problems with Victimization Data
1. Self-Report Data- hope they'll be honest
2. Bias in questions
3. Not everyone reports crimes.
un, The view that criminality is a product of abnormal biological or psychological traits.
Social Structure Theories
crime is a product of social stratification, which is caused by an unequal distribution of wealth
Social Disorganization (Sean & McKay)
highest crime rates & most serious crimes happen in urban transitional...economic decline classes
Relative Deprivation (Sean & McKay)
the perception that one is worse off relative to those with whom one compares oneself
Strain Theory (Robert Mertan)
All people share the same values and goals...but not everyone can attain them
Delinquent Subculture (Albert Cowen)
a reaction or protest of standards of society that can't be reached due to poverty
Differential Association (Edwin Sutherland)
criminality learned trough techniques, motivations, and attitudes
4 areas of Family Dynamics
1. Broken Families
2. Someone in the family being an addict
3. Quality of Relationships
4. Abuse and Neglect
Problems with sex abuse studies
1. Sexual abuse is in private
2. Kids don't report it
3. Child may not know it's wrong
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together