Create an account
All GDL drivers under age 21, who possess a permit or probationary license, are
required to display ______ distributed through the MVC, on any vehicle that they operate.
two visible, red reflective decals
Child Restraint Law:
Children up to age eight or a weight of 80 pounds must ride in a safe booster seat. If there is no rear seat, the child must sit in the front seat secured by a booster seat.
• Children under age eight and over 80 pounds must be in a rear seat and use a seat belt. If there is no rear seat, the child must be properly belted in the front seat.
• Failure to comply with this law could mean a $54 fine and court costs.
For normal driving, a motorist should grip the
steering wheel by the outside rim at the __ and __ o'clock positions,
9 and 3
_________ steering permits a motorist to make steering adjustments
ranging from very minor up to a half turn of the wheel, while keeping both hands
on the wheel
Stop or slowing down-
• Stop or slowing down: hand and arm downward,
palm facing to the rear
• Right turn: hand and arm upward
• Left turn: hand and arm straight out
The 3-Point Turn (K Turn)
When turning a vehicle around, a motorist should start from the right edge of the road. Choose a safe spot with good visibility in both directions. If there is no other traffic, the motorist should signal left and move forward slowly while turning the steering wheel to the left. The vehicle should be stopped several inches from the left curb or street edge. The motorist should then signal right and back slowly while turning the steering wheel to the right, stopping several inches
from the right curb or street edge. The motorist should next move the vehicle forward, signaling left, while turning the steering wheel to the left. Finally, the motorist should straighten the vehicle's wheels as it faces in the direction
he/she wants to go.
When can you pass? When can you not?
Both lines are broken: yes
The line nearest you is broken: yes
Both lines are solid: no
The line nearest you is solid: no
Yield the right of way to....
Emergency vehicles: when police cars, fire engines and ambulances
are giving warning signs (sirens, flashing lights)
• Buses: when re-entering the flow of traffic
• Postal vehicles: when vehicle is seeking to re-enter the flow of traffic
• Motorized or mobility-assistance devices: when in a crosswalk or
seeking to cross a road
• Other vehicles that are already in the intersection
What is a Controlled Intersection?
An intersection is controlled if there are traffic signals or signs in any direction or controlled by a police officer.
What is an Uncontrolled Intersection?
An intersection is uncontrolled when two or more roads join and there is no traffic signal or regulatory device
What is a Blind Intersection?
Buildings, parked vehicles or bushes may obstruct a motorist's line of sight
What is a Traffic Circle?
There are no set rules for driving into, around and out of a traffic circle in New
Jersey. Common sense and caution must prevail at all times
What does it mean to be a defensive driver?
It means being alert at all times, ready to avoid any disasters.
When a motorist has been behind the wheel for a long time, he/she may experience a trance-like state called ____________.
BAC is determined by four factors:
• Quantity of alcohol consumed
• Body weight
• How quickly drinks were consumed
• Food eaten
Law enforcement is trained to notice certain telltale signs that a motorist has been drinking
• Speeding: An intoxicated driver often thinks high speed driving is safe
• Weaving: Even though an intoxicated driver may stay in the correct lane,
driving straight may be a problem
• Slow driving: An intoxicated driver may be overly cautious and drive slower
than the normal traffic flow
• Jerking motion: An intoxicated driver often may have short mental lapses
and not keep a steady speed on a clear road
• Quick stops: An intoxicated driver may make sudden stops at a traffic
sign or light, rather than easing up to it
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together