Upgrade to remove ads
BIO 131 Exam 1 Study Guide Prt 3 of 3
Terms in this set (22)
Describe the events occurring at a chemical synapse, beginning w/an AP in the axon terminal of a presynaptic cell & ending w/a response in the postsynaptic cell.
1) An AP depolarizes the axon terminal.
2) The depolarization opens V-gated Ca++ channels, and Ca++ enters the cell.
3) Calcium entry triggers exocytosis of synapitc vesicle contents.
4) Neurotransmitter diffuses across the synaptic cleft & binds w/receptors on the postsynaptic cell.
5) Neurotransmiter binding initiates a response in the postsynaptic cell.
6)Response in the postsynaptic cell causes the opening/closing of ion channels & triggers a new AP.
All sensory information (except for ___) first goes to the ____ for ____ & relay station.
The somatic motor neuron is _____ and controls the ____ muscle.
The autonomic neuron is ____ and controls the ____ muscle, ____ muscle, & _____.
The Autonomic Nervous System is made up of the _____ & the ____.
Parasympathetic system (rest/digest)
When the Sympathetic system is activated the ____ is activated at the same time.
Adrenal Sympathetic system.
The Somatic Motor neuron transmitts ____ onto the ______ receptor.
The Parasympathetic neuron transmits ___ onto the ______ receptor.
The Sympathetic neuron transmits ___ onto the ___ or ____ receptors.
The Adrenal Sympathetic neuron transmits ____ onto ____ or ___ receptors.
The CNS has 4 Protective components. They are...?
- Pia matter (the inner layer)
- Arachnoid membrane (middle layer)
- Dura matter (the outer layer)
- Subarachnoid spice (filled w/CSF) is between the Dura & Arachnoid matter.
3) Glial cells- are support cells
4) Blood Brain Barrier (BBB)
CSF is produced by ____ plates, which selectively pumps ____, ions, & __ into the subarachnoid space.
The main neurotransmitters in the CNS are?
Neurons in the CNS only do ____ metabolism.
Can only metabolize _____.
Has very little _____.
Afferent NS takes information from the ___ and to the ____
Efferent NS takes information from the ___ and to the ____
A modulatory neuron [D] forms an axoaxonic synapse w/[C]. When Neurons [A] & [B] fire together, neuron [C] carries an AP. When [A], [B], & [D] fire together, no neurotransmitter is released from [C].
- Are [A] & [B] excitatory or inhibitory?-
- Is this temporal or spatial summation?-
- The connection between [C] & [D] is an example for presynaptic inhibition or facilitation?-
- Spatial Summation-
- Presynaptic Inhibition-
A cluster of cell bodies in the CNS is called a?
A cluster of cell bodies in the PNS is called a?
Axodendritic synapses are?
The synapse between the axon and the dendrite where signals between neurons occur.
Axosomatic synapses are?
The synapse between the axon and the cell body where signals between neurons occur.
What is the diff between Gray matter & White matter in the brain?
- Has cell bodies
- Has dendrites
- Found outside and cerebral cortex
- Has axons
- Found inside (few nuclei)
Recommended textbook explanations
Prentice Hall Biology: Florida
Investigating Biology Lab Manual
Cain, Campbell, Minorsky, Reece, Urry, Wasserman
Sets found in the same folder
BIO 131 Exam 1 Study Guide Prt 1 of 3
BIO 131 Exam 1 Study Guide Prt 2 of 3
Bio 131 Exam 1 Lab Study Guide
BIO 131: Exam 2 Concept Check 1- Skeletal Muscle
Sets with similar terms
BIOLOGY MCAT Nervous System
Other sets by this creator
ACSM EP-C Prt 3
ACSM EP-C Prt 2
ACSM EP-C Prt 1
Other Quizlet sets
The Administrative Medical Assistance Week 1 chapt…
New Material For Final Exam (Genetics)
Chapter 2 Marketing Key Terms