5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Grand Canal
- Zheng He
- a the ancient indigenous religion of Japan lacking formal dogma
- b school of Mahayana Buddhism asserting that enlightenment can come through meditation and intuition rather than faith
- c an inland waterway 1000 miles long in eastern China, The 1,100-mile (1,700-kilometer) waterway linking the Yellow and the Yangzi Rivers. It was begun in the Han period and completed during the Sui Empire. (p. 277)
- d A popular type of Japanese drama combined with music and dance, it is the type of theatre in Japan(Played buy all male actors)
- e An imperial eunuch and Muslim, entrusted by the Ming emperor Yongle with a series of state voyages that took his gigantic ships through the Indian Ocean, from Southeast Asia to Africa. (pp. 355, 422)
5 Multiple choice questions
- one of the great Yi rulers, ordered bronze instruments to be used in measuring rain, and created simplified writing
- Mongolian emperor of China and grandson of Genghis Khan who completed his grandfather's conquest of China
- independent state that has to acknowledge the supremacy of another state and pay tribute to its ruler, These are regions or colonies who become subordinates of a more powerful state as a means to control slaves and to provide exclusive trading rights to foreign regions.
- the only woman to ever declare herself empress, she was a member of the Tang Dynasty; takes over when Li Shimin dies; she used trickery to get power, cuts taxes, raises salaries of government officials, encourages trade and buddhism, takes korea as a tributary state, reforms the civil service exams, builds more school for more job opprotunities, takes critism from Li Bo and improves, The only woman to ever declare herself empress, she was a member of the Tang Dynasty.
- the imperial dynasty of China from 960 to 1279, (960 - 1279 AD); this dynasty was started by Tai Zu; by 1000, a million people were living there; started feet binding; had a magnetic compass; had a navy; traded with india and persia (brought pepper and cotton); first to have paper money, explosive gun powder; *landscape black and white paintings
5 True/False questions
Yamato Clan → Only family to hold the title of emperor in Japanese history
Ying Yang → A Taoist Symbol That shows the balance of right and wrong., Forces of nature, yin- negative, weak, dark, female. yang- bright, positive, strong, male. Each balance each other out, needs to be perfect.
kana → school of Mahayana Buddhism asserting that enlightenment can come through meditation and intuition rather than faith
Calligraphy → feudal Japanese military aristocracy
Civil Service → one of the great Yi rulers, ordered bronze instruments to be used in measuring rain, and created simplified writing